Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chili's Takes Away Free Meal From Vet

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

What is that saying - No good deed goes unpunished - Bet Chili's is sorry they made the offer.

@DiAnne wrote:

What is that saying - No good deed goes unpunished - Bet Chili's is sorry they made the offer.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Chili's cannot be blamed for the climate that now seems to be normalized.

Esteemed Contributor

A lawyer???  SEriously????  THe stupid action by one dumb restaurant manager does not a lawsuit make.  CHili's has apologized and removed the manager.  WHat more does this person want?  OH maybe a financial settlement.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read this whole thread, but unfortunately "pretenders" exist, and we had an ongoing experience with one in our old neighborhood.

He enjoyed numerous privileges, financial advantages, and public acclaim until it was accurately determined that his military record had been a fiction of his own design.

The experience was not as sad for the people who had invested money in him as it was for the people who had honored and respected him.

A man's (or woman's) word is no longer "as good as his bond".

Sad but true.

Respected Contributor

I agree that the Manager is only one person in a large and diverse organization. However, he is their local representative for the entire copany.  If he goes in the wrong direction, then the whole company goes with him.  Chili's should have made it clear to him when hired that what he does is a reflection of their company policy, thus his actions speak for Chili's.

IMHO this is true of every corporate organization. Be careful who you hire to represent you.

And again, no I won't go there - never have, never will.

Respected Contributor

The manager took the ve'ts food? Who took the brain's away from the manager?

I won't say that I won't go to Chili's ever again. First, I have to see how the Corporate Office handles the situation.The manager is only one person. Yes, he should be fired, and I think boycotting Chili's until there is a satisfactory solution is a good idea. However, I believe in forgiveness for the company as a whole...if the Corporate Office comes to a satisfactory resolution to the problem.

Personally, I think that vet should get a free meal every day for a year at Chili's.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I've never eaten there, and after this stunt, I have no desire to give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I wondered if the restaurant employee was a pimply faced kid when I first heard about this story.

And why he took the word of one diner over the veteran's.  The other diner should be outed for causing this to begin with.  I really wish he was.

Had I been there, I would've offered to pay for the man's meal, hopefully taken as an atonement for the inexcuseable treatment of the employee.

I wish someone had stood up for the man being denied.  Or berated the man for starting the ruckus.  I wouldn't be able to keep my trap shut.  Maybe that's a problem I need to work on.

It was a mistake, a terrible mistake.  But don't boycott the chain as so many people work there and need that paycheck.

I haven't been in a Chilis but may four times and that was long long ago.  But it's popular, it keeps the neighborhoods going, the economy going. 

It's great they offered free meals to vets, hadn't heard about that.  That's what *celebrating* veteran's day is all about, the vets.  Those who didn't serve not only enjoy the country they live and thrive in, they get the sales/discounts on practically everything from lingerie to SUVs.

I don't know about a lawsuit, I don't know what Mr. Walker is going after.  I wouldn't think he should gain wealth from this.  It was a horrible mistake made by the employee and Mr. Walker should understand this, too.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I wondered if the restaurant employee was a pimply faced kid when I first heard about this story.

And why he took the word of one diner over the veteran's.  The other diner should be outed for causing this to begin with.  I really wish he was.

Had I been there, I would've offered to pay for the man's meal, hopefully taken as an atonement for the inexcuseable treatment of the employee.

I wish someone had stood up for the man being denied.  Or berated the man for starting the ruckus.  I wouldn't be able to keep my trap shut.  Maybe that's a problem I need to work on.

It was a mistake, a terrible mistake.  But don't boycott the chain as so many people work there and need that paycheck.

I haven't been in a Chilis but may four times and that was long long ago.  But it's popular, it keeps the neighborhoods going, the economy going. 

It's great they offered free meals to vets, hadn't heard about that.  That's what *celebrating* veteran's day is all about, the vets.  Those who didn't serve not only enjoy the country they live and thrive in, they get the sales/discounts on practically everything from lingerie to SUVs.

I don't know about a lawsuit, I don't know what Mr. Walker is going after.  I wouldn't think he should gain wealth from this.  It was a horrible mistake made by the employee and Mr. Walker should understand this, too.

I agree. I think it's awful that it is alleged that another Veteran started this entire fiasco.

Every Veteran had a right to enjoy this free meal, not sure why this guy found it his mission to open his mouth. I'd like to hear from him too.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Honestly? I don't think anything will happen to the manager. 

@SahmIamIt will if Chilis is flooded with emails reguarding this.

I was trying to type more but my keyboard froze.

What I wanted to type was "honestly, I don't think anything will happen to the manager because in the past, when similiar behavior has happened to police officers, NOTHING happened to management".

I have a list of resturants that I, family and friends boycott for this reason. I'm thrilled that Chili's did something but if he still works for them, then....what price has he actually paid for his behavior?

None.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Honestly? I don't think anything will happen to the manager. 

@SahmIamIt will if Chilis is flooded with emails reguarding this.

I was trying to type more but my keyboard froze.

What I wanted to type was "honestly, I don't think anything will happen to the manager because in the past, when similiar behavior has happened to police officers, NOTHING happened to management".

I have a list of resturants that I, family and friends boycott for this reason. I'm thrilled that Chili's did something but if he still works for them, then....what price has he actually paid for his behavior?

None.

The price he would pay by being fired is to be free to react the same way in a new job and essentially not learning anything.  He is young so it is unlikely that losing a job at Chili's will be life altering.

He has been "removed" from the restaurant and hopefully is undergoing training about how to resolve such situations  and corporate policy so he will hopefully never make such a mistake again either as a Chili's employee or somewhere else

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.