Super Contributor

Re: Autocorrect -- the end of writing property...

On 11/11/2014 lovestoteach said:
On 11/10/2014 Shorty2U said:

The test was easy.

What does everyone expect? Children are no longer learning cursive in a lot of schools, so why bother with grammar? (I say sarcastically).

My youngest granddaughter is an example. She did not learn cursive in school. My daughter and I taught her cursive on our own. (The older two do know cursive).

All 3 of my granddaughters (16,14, and 10) use computers 99% of the time in school (The 2 older ones bring their electronic notebooks home every night).

Thankfully my oldest granddaughter calls out bad grammar when she sees it but they all abbreviate a lot when they text.

So grammar is going out the window along with cursive I guess?

Sadly I think the ability to communicate has suffered. I see teens where I work who would rather text than talk with friends.

Mankind is set apart from the rest of the animal kingdom in his ability to reason and is the only one of the animal kingdom who has a written language and can read it with understanding. With that precise written language came preservation of knowledge and on going research. Yes, we can all write in awkward garble that perhaps future generations can decipher, or maybe they can't. The clear written word endures and is the basis of knowledge, research, and preservation of cherished ideas. Fads come and go, but the written word has survived and hopefully WILL survive through the centuries.

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 RainCityGirl said:
On 11/11/2014 lovestoteach said:
On 11/10/2014 Shorty2U said:

The test was easy.

What does everyone expect? Children are no longer learning cursive in a lot of schools, so why bother with grammar? (I say sarcastically).

My youngest granddaughter is an example. She did not learn cursive in school. My daughter and I taught her cursive on our own. (The older two do know cursive).

All 3 of my granddaughters (16,14, and 10) use computers 99% of the time in school (The 2 older ones bring their electronic notebooks home every night).

Thankfully my oldest granddaughter calls out bad grammar when she sees it but they all abbreviate a lot when they text.

So grammar is going out the window along with cursive I guess?

Sadly I think the ability to communicate has suffered. I see teens where I work who would rather text than talk with friends.

Mankind is set apart from the rest of the animal kingdom in his ability to reason and is the only one of the animal kingdom who has a written language and can read it with understanding. With that precise written language came preservation of knowledge and on going research. Yes, we can all write in awkward garble that perhaps future generations can decipher, or maybe they can't. The clear written word endures and is the basis of knowledge, research, and preservation of cherished ideas. Fads come and go, but the written word has survived and hopefully WILL survive through the centuries.

It will, in one form or another. It's been with us since the cavemen, who found a way to communicate by etching marks in stone. They must have had a great urge to do so, since that was certainly an arduous process.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Speech and writing patterns will change as they always have. But communication will survive.