Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Possummink - I love the lady bugs. Ladybugs were a thing between me and my DH {#emotions_dlg.wub}

It's a bit psycho here at work today (lol) so I am doing a drive by.

The bird of the day is the Bearded Reedling. Given the pics of kung-fu birds that we have been featuring, perhaps this bird is the kung fu master {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Image result for bearded reedling

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Just wanted to peek in and say hello!

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

Owl by Shailendra Pandey, via Flickr

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

go to LINK TO HEAR AND SEE IT... link may not work.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Hi Birding Friends - we have more parking garage drama. The garage I park in have 7 floors and is like any other typical concrete garage from a stairwell perspective. You walk up 2 flights of stairs to get from one floor to the other. In this picture, if you look up when you are walking up the stairs, you can see the underside of the next flight of stairs.

In the parking garage, when you are walking up the first flight of stairs that take you from 6th floor to 7th floor, if you look up, you see solid concrete. That's because this garage has only 7 floors. What you are seeing is actually the bottom of something that looks like a concrete box with the front of it open, like the picture below. I guess since it was a pre-cast garage, that's how they finished it off at the top. Image result for open box on side

Okay, now that I've set the stage, this little area is a perfect pigeon paradise. It's within the stairwell and a nice place to hide when the weather is ugly.

Honored Contributor

Continuation of Story:

Do you remember when I mentioned that there was an aggressive reddish pigeon in the stairwell trying to beat up RP (Rescue Pigeon) last month?

Well, it appears that the reddish pigeon and a white and black pigeon 'got married' for the season and established their nest in the concrete 'box' between the 6th and 7th floor of the garage. They were sitting on a nest all the way at the back of the 'box'. Last week, when I parked on 7 and walked down to 5, so I could take a peek at the family, I noticed that no one was minding the nest. (It's dark back there and not easily accessible as it's above the staircase and I didn't have a flashlight). It was cold that morning and I thought, uh oh, if there's an egg in there it is not going to make it without a parent. On Monday, I noticed the couple near the front of the 'box', not sitting on anything. I figured the egg wasn't viable and they knew it was over.

Imagine my surprise yesterday, when I took the elevator to 5 so I could walk up to 7 (to glance at the family) and I saw rows and rows of this from the front of the 'box' to as far back as I could see and around the standpipe that runs up the right side (if you are facing the box) wall.

Image result for plastic bird spikes