Honored Contributor

Re: A Quick Medicare & SS Question

Applying online is extremely easy; the program is not complicated.  

The mistake I made was waiting until late at night to apply.  The server shuts down for system updates/maintenance at a certain time every night, so if you are in the process of applying, you receive a pop up message with the number of minutes left before shutdown.  I hurriedly finished with just over 1 minute to spare.  

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@lenapecci ...............Just in case you did not know your local senior citizens center has people that can help.

So true. When I applied for Medicare in 2015 I received help (in person) at an office where I live. They showed me how to apply and explained Medicare. I was given info to return home with. It's a lot. 

Honored Contributor

I know some will disagree with me, and this can also vary from state to state, as I've read here.

I first had traditional Medicare because I wanted to keep the doctors I had been seeing.  Well, one retired, one died and another moved.  Doctors gone.

After hearing about my sister's experience, I went with an Advantage plan.  What a shock!   It's cheaper with MD visits and prescriptions, and my two cataract surgeries were $0 co-pays.   I paid nothing, nada, zip for two surgeries.  (The eye drops had a charge, though, lol.)

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I have traditional Medicare and my cataracts were removed, both cost me nothing. My eye surgeon supplied his patients the meds they needed free of charge. He kept all the eye drops which pharmaceuticals reps gave him and he gave them to his patients.

I have United health care as my supplement.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I know some will disagree with me, and this can also vary from state to state, as I've read here.

I first had traditional Medicare because I wanted to keep the doctors I had been seeing.  Well, one retired, one died and another moved.  Doctors gone.

After hearing about my sister's experience, I went with an Advantage plan.  What a shock!   It's cheaper with MD visits and prescriptions, and my two cataract surgeries were $0 co-pays.   I paid nothing, nada, zip for two surgeries.  (The eye drops had a charge, though, lol.)

Working with a broker to find the best plan for you is a great advantage.  As I recently found out, there are 47 different drug prescription plans in OH.  Brokers have information about renewal rate increases, claims payments, deductables, co-pay, etc.  Cheapest is not always the best option.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I set up a MyMedicare account online and never had to talk to anyone at Medicare. It was easy to set up and payments started in the month I specified.  mymedicare.gov.

Honored Contributor

Once you set up a mymedicare account, Medicare will list all the supplemental plans available in your area. I didn't need an agent/broker or Medicare rep to do it.

Remember, all Medicare supplemental plans have to cover the same things per Medicare/U.S. government. You can pay more or you can pay less but they're all required to do the same things for each type of plan you select - Plan G is the most common these days.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Agreed @Tinkrbl44 . Love our Advantage plan.  It covers so much, no co pays, Dental and eye care, Pages and pages of free OTC items through cvs, free Golf fees, excerise programs and more to keep you active and healthy.

Just a few weeks ago my husband cracked a tooth. Over $350 cost. All paid in full. Love our Advantage plan.

Trusted Contributor

I completed my application. I hope it is correct. I reviewed it 4 times before I hit submit. 

At the end it stated May 4, 2024 as the official date of your application for SS benefits. In order to use 5/4/24 we must recieve the signed application by 11/5/2024. Do they send another form to sign or does the electronic signature count as your signed application? 

I know I am overthinking this whole process. I know they will call. I have to stop worrying so much!  

Again I want to thank all for the information, encouragement and support. It has been so helpful!!    

Honored Contributor

I did mine 7 years ago and it was very cut and dry and easy to fill out. Do not be you can handle it.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.