Super Contributor

Hello!

Ive never tried Philosophy but am thinking about it. The reason is that I'm very sensitive to chemicals in scent and formula. Do you Philosophy lovers feel that the line is very gentle and natural? What products or scents would be best for someone like me? Also do they test on animals? Thanks so much everyone! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Thinking about trying....

Check out Leaping Bunny and crueltyfreekitty.com to see if they test on animals.  Also if you go to Beautypedia you can read a review on Philosophy and other skin care/make up lines.

Regular Contributor

Honestly, anything with fragrance has the potential to bother you.  There is the Purity line.  I've used it a few times and it didn't bother me.  I have sensitive skin, but not terribly sensitive.  I second the beatutypedia suggestion.  That's great for helping to identify irritants.  Though I think everybody is unique -some things that are supposed to be irritating I'm just fine with.  Other things that are supposed to be less irritating mess me up.

Honored Contributor

@Souperkrys wrote:

Hello!

Ive never tried Philosophy but am thinking about it. The reason is that I'm very sensitive to chemicals in scent and formula. Do you Philosophy lovers feel that the line is very gentle and natural? What products or scents would be best for someone like me? Also do they test on animals? Thanks so much everyone! 

@Souperkrys

YES! Now they do. 

Philosophy was sold to a company that DOES test on animals and that's when I stopped buying any of their products.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I know so MANY people love Purity.  How gentle it is.  I am an example of how IT ISN'T.  And I don't have sensitive skin.  I have tried different times just to see if it wa sme.  Every time this is what happened....my eyes burn big time, my face burns and gets very red and hurts.  I will never subject my face to it again.  I was at Ulta store and they wanted to test me for a foundation color.  They first wanted to clean my skin.  They wanted to use Purity.  I said NO WAY.  And I explained why.  They said they never heard of that.  Then 2 other ladies walked by and said the same thing happened to them!!

Honored Contributor

I don't see on these cruelty free sites where Philosophy products are tested on animals. I know you can be or become allergic to anything at any time so if you are very sensitive to skin care products I would seer clear of Philosophy. That being said, my husband who is very allergic and breaks out in tiny red bumps all over his skin, can use any Philosophy shampoo and shower gel. Go figure! L'Occitane is on the list though and I just bought a lot of it for gifts. I will not purchase again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Souperkrys.    My facial skin can be vey sensitive at times but I don't know what is the source.  Anyway, I use Gingerbread Man, Coconut Frosting, Fresh Cream with Mint and Vanilla Fig and have no reaction.  I can't say you will be okay.  You will have to decide if you want to take a chance.  Vanilla Bean may be a good choice for you.  Check out philosophy's website too.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@KingstonsMom

oh no Really? Do you know what company?do you know if Philosophy now tests on animals too, not just their parent company? So sad. 

Super Contributor

@ruthbe

Wow! Can’t believe 2 other ladies said the same thing!  There must be a very strong ingredient in there! 

Super Contributor

@blackhole99

Really? L’Occitane tests on animals? I never would have thought that, wow...