Contributor

Have the scents gotten better?

I was a philosophy girl long ago and loved almost everything I purchased.  However, when the company sold, I was one of the many who was continually disappointed purchase after purchase with the decline in the quality of the scents.  I finally gave up and stopped buying anything by philosophy, from QVC or anywhere.  In looking at the products and gift sets on QVC.com, I'm tempted to try again, as there are many options which look wonderful, but I'm afraid I will only be disappointed again.  I know I can always send things back, but that still costs money.  What are your opinions on the bath products?  Have they improved on the strength of the scents?  Are there any in particular that maybe seem stronger than the others?  Are there any that you really can't smell at all and are a complete waste?  I am talking about the bath and shower gels, lotions and body creams and fragrances.  I don't buy much of their skincare, but I suspect a similar conversation could be held about their skincare line.  Thanks, everyone!

Honored Contributor

Re: Have the scents gotten better?

Their skin care is as good as any IMO, I like their bath and shower gels, lotions and body souffles very much. I didn't use philosophy very much when they first came to the Q, I though it was over rated. I think the products are better now and I really am enjoying the Marzipan Dream and Lemond Custard scents.

Trusted Contributor

Philosophy's bubble bath have great fragrances and you may be able to smell them when in the tub but that's as far as it goes, at least for me. If you like plenty of bubbles, they're a winner, if you like the scents, they're a winner, if you want the lotions to stay with you or moisten your skin, sorry, they don't me. I've never tried using them as a shampoo. As far as body butter, I use Josie's.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dogtrainer1

I love the scents from L'Occitane dot com. Gorgeous selection.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been using their whipped body cream in Amazing Grace.  A couple of months ago, I hired a personal trainer, but before I actually started my sessions with him, I met with the trainers' trainer.  He instructed me to go through a few exercises as part of my initial assessment.  I no sooner started the first exercise when he said, "Oh my gosh, you smell so good! I've never had anyone workout that smelled that good."  I was focused on doing the exercise and simply thanked him.  Before our 30 minute session was over, he had complimented me on my fragrance at least 3 times.  

At the end of our session, I gave him the scoop on what I was wearing.  He said he particularly liked it because it smelled so clean.  

Suggested he take a look at QVC's offerings.  He said he's getting some for his wife for Christmas.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Trusted Contributor

The only scent I've liked from Philosophy, so far, has been Sweet Vanilla Fig.  The shower gel alone is very subtle.  If I layer it with the souffle, or the spritz, it will last for me.  I know it lasts, because I've had people tell me they like the smell several hours later.  My biggest problem is they need to describe what notes are in the fragrances.  I don't want to know how it makes a person feel, I want to know the fragrance notes.  Since they don't seem to want to do that, I won't try several of their fragrances.  I refuse to pay shipping two ways just to take a whiff.  Sometimes you can find what notes are in them by looking at the list of ingredients, but not always.  Any other company will give you that information when they describe them.  I think part of the problem is the woman with short dark hair just doesn't know the proper way to explain a fragrance.  The other woman does a much better job.

Trusted Contributor

I like the Philosophy shower products, and the body lotions and creams too.  I get compliments on how great they smell.  I particularly like the Amazing Grace perfume (real perfume), wonderful scent.  Haven't noticed the "no smell" that others complain about but then again, that's just me.