Respected Contributor

Is there a big difference between original and matte BM?

I could be wrong but I don't think I have ever seen a demo on the Q of the matte foundation.  They should do a side by side of both so we could get an idea of which we want.  I have the original but it is too shiny especially in summer even with the mineral veil.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is there a big difference between original and matte BM?

The orginial has bismouth & the matte doesn't, that's the way it was sold when Leslie owned the company. Bismouth can causes rashes, breakouts & redness for those sensitive to it. Also the same shade will not be the same in the original & matte. I gave up on BM so that's all I can share with you, hope others can help.

Valued Contributor

The matte foundation is less "sparkly" in the sun than the original.  For that reason, I like the matte. It photographs better than the original for this reason, too.   I also have dry skin and Leslie used to say that the matte is more finely milled than the original.  Therefore, she said that matte isn't particularly made for oily skin, as some people will tell you.

Valued Contributor

The Q's TSVs never have matte, or even all the shades for that matter (eg, I'm medium in warm weather months, but fairly medium in the cooler weather months).

I would suggest going to Ulta to check it out (if there's one near you).

Valued Contributor

I have oily skin, and have used matte since it came out. It lasts longer on my skin, it's less sparkly so it doesn't add shine, and the Fairly Medium color works on me. It seriously annoys me that they don't offer both original and matte in all the shades in kits. Seriously.

Regular Contributor

I have been wearing the matte for a couple years.  I switch between medium and soft medium.  Summer heat and humidity do a # on my complexion since I have oily skin so I always try to wear a primer and mineral veil. Think I'm on the hunt again for new foundation, just don't seem to be as satisfied with results anymore. The matte is not as sparkley as many have said. And I did get mine at Ulta.

Valued Contributor

Matte is so much better for my oily skin. When I used to post in the BE forum back in the old days, whenever there was a BE TSV I would throw in my 2 cents about why the kits never include a choice from all of the foundations in all of the colors. I used to mix two colors before the fairly medium came out, and when matte came out, I was thrilled. It annoys me that BE can't figure out a way, especially since (at least they used to) they send the product directly from BE, to have a choice. 

Anyway, matte is my favorite, because it's a matte, velvety finish. The bismuth never bothered me, but it does bother some.