Frequent Contributor

BarePRO Foundation has TALC as the First Listed Ingredient!!??

I saw the Ulta website yesterday which announced the launch of Bare Minerals new foundation, BarePRO. It appears to be a pressed foundation with a very wide range of shades. When I checked the ingredients of this matte finish, 12 hour wear foundation it has TALC listed as the first ingredient.  BareMinerals will always have my business because I love Original foundation and Complexion Rescue. I think their eyeshadows, especially Ready, are amazing; and I'm learning to mix my loose blushes. Actually, I'm learning to "cocktail" all the loose items, mixing matte with glimmers to get more of the satin finish and adding the serum bronzer to my Complexion Rescue as Jessica demonstrated.

I'm not sure how ladies will react to the "no fillers, no binders" party line when it becomes available in Ulta on 7/24. I've never liked the Ready foundation, and have used Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten when I wanted a compact foundation (which also has talc listed as the first ingredient). I know I'll be inclined to try this purely because the shade range is so amazing, but I love the satin finish of my Original.

Respected Contributor

Re: BarePRO Foundation has TALC as the First Listed Ingredient!!??

It is not the same quality as it once was. I think it was sold, and the new owners are changing it. When I realized that, I bought my favorite old formulations on e bay and will bot buy this brand anymore. The same thing happened with Ojon a few years ago. Sad and frustrating.

Super Contributor

@Happymom523 wrote:

I saw the Ulta website yesterday which announced the launch of Bare Minerals new foundation, BarePRO. It appears to be a pressed foundation with a very wide range of shades. When I checked the ingredients of this matte finish, 12 hour wear foundation it has TALC listed as the first ingredient.  BareMinerals will always have my business because I love Original foundation and Complexion Rescue. I think their eyeshadows, especially Ready, are amazing; and I'm learning to mix my loose blushes. Actually, I'm learning to "cocktail" all the loose items, mixing matte with glimmers to get more of the satin finish and adding the serum bronzer to my Complexion Rescue as Jessica demonstrated.

I'm not sure how ladies will react to the "no fillers, no binders" party line when it becomes available in Ulta on 7/24. I've never liked the Ready foundation, and have used Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten when I wanted a compact foundation (which also has talc listed as the first ingredient). I know I'll be inclined to try this purely because the shade range is so amazing, but I love the satin finish of my Original.

Is this a problem?  Talc is used widely in women's powders, as it is made of magnesium, oxygen, and silicon.  It is for obsorbing moisture and keeping away shine, and keeping your face dry.  There is no problem with using talc on your face, and very conflicting reports with talc causing cancer in women in genital areas.  I have no problem with it.  

Honored Contributor

Used to be that BE used to sing the praises of no talc in any of their (powder) mineral products.  Now it seems the new owners don't really care or think it's okay to use talc in their powders.  Interesting.

As for buying products at Ulta that we buy here and on other sites, DH and I went to the local Ulta store and bought a mere 1oz of PTR Regenertaing Moisture Gel for $68 and a 10oz bottle of It's a 10 shampoo with keratin for him and paid $23.00.  With tax he paid $96+.  Ulta store is very convenient for us, only about 8 miles away, and it's HUGE.

After we got back home I did some digging around on various websites that I also shop beauty products for and found both items brand new, unopend at amazon.com for half the price, free shipping on one of the items and still cost me half of Ulta amount.

Needless to say I'm returning the 2 products back to Ulta store. 

Frequent Contributor

I find this interesting based upon Bare Minerals long held claims (and It Cosmentics also) that there are "No talc, no fillers, no binders, no nothing to settle into your fine lines". It is notable based upon the philosophies of the line. They are now owned by Shisheido. Shisheido is well known for their skin care, but not renowned for their foundations or other cosmetics.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terriebear wrote:

@Happymom523 wrote:

Is this a problem?  Talc is used widely in women's powders, as it is made of magnesium, oxygen, and silicon.  It is for obsorbing moisture and keeping away shine, and keeping your face dry.  There is no problem with using talc on your face, and very conflicting reports with talc causing cancer in women in genital areas.  I have no problem with it.

sorry @terriebear, but you are wrong about that.Talc can also cause lung cancer when inhaled,and believe me I inhaled a lot of it when I used BE

Trusted Contributor

Bear Minerals was bought by Shiseido several years ago. Hence, all the new products. I do like the Complexion Rescue and Ready eye shadows, but they are definitely moving away from the original basis of the conpany - all natural.

This new BarePRO has talc as the the main ingredient followed by a long list of chemicals. While the problems with talc are debatable- the value is not. You can buy a big container of talcum powder for a few bucks. BM is charging $30 for .33 ounce (Would you pay $90/ounce for baby powder?). I can't imagine that this is any better than cheaper drugstore brands. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not a Bareminerals fan in general (except for primer) but I was going to try this new powder since I have a hard time resisting trying new products. With the talc though, I'm rethinking it.
Frequent Contributor

I know I'll try it too, especially since the shade range is INCREDIBLE. Sometimes there are not a lot of cool toned offerings, especially since everything is "color correcting". Bare Minerals Original in Fairly Medium is my perfect match for most of the year.

Trusted Contributor

@Dorothy11 wrote:

Bear Minerals was bought by Shiseido several years ago. Hence, all the new products. I do like the Complexion Rescue and Ready eye shadows, but they are definitely moving away from the original basis of the conpany - all natural.

This new BarePRO has talc as the the main ingredient followed by a long list of chemicals. While the problems with talc are debatable- the value is not. You can buy a big container of talcum powder for a few bucks. BM is charging $30 for .33 ounce (Would you pay $90/ounce for baby powder?). I can't imagine that this is any better than cheaper drugstore brands. 

No, I would not pay $90/ounce for baby powder NOR would I apply it to me face as a foundation - not a good look.  Geese.