Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

Right or wrong, the podiatrists I've seen have always done an x-ray first thing. I suspect stress fractures, arthritis, bone spurs, etc. are common findings for them. Course no x-rays done for ingrown nails, flat feet, or corns. Haaaaaaaa! 

First, they wanted the reimbursement for the xray so the routinely order one for everyone who walks in the door.  But if they are truly doing their job correctly, they can tell from the physical exam and the patients description of the pain.  How the pain feels, where it the pain is, when the pain started, did the patient have a recent foot injury, did the patient have an old foot injury.  And then there's the patient's history and age.  

Valued Contributor

I would definitely have an xray done first to rule out other causes, and then pursue proper foot treatment after reading the xray expert results and advisements.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

An elderly friend of mine has been having some foot issues the last couple of months.  She went to a podiatrist and he recommended she go to physical therapy.  My question is:  Wouldn't you think an xray should have been done prior to sending her to physical therapy for her foot?

Whether she needed an X-ray or not depended upon the doctors examination of her feet and her discussion of her sympoms. There are many conditions that are diagnosable without Xrays.