Honored Contributor

world health organization about cash

Just heard on tv from the WHO  that cash can contain the virus and can stay on it for days. That is not surprising .  They say be sure and wash your hands after handling cash. Well i have always done that! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: world health organization about cash

I've always considered cash "dirty" and washed my hands.  Also dirty are the shopping carts, if you touch the credit card machine/pen, etc.  I have always hated when people leave their doughtnut wrapper, coffee cup, etc. in  their shopping cart. (or dirty diapers!)  Yesterday I got one with a dirty Kleenex in it.   There was a waste basket nearby.

Honored Contributor

You could always do some money laundering with alcohol on a cotton pad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I should be in good shape then. I very seldom have cash on me. Of course this thread helped me remember that I actually was planning on paying someone with cash early in the morning.

Some small places do not like to use debit cards.

Respected Contributor

I prefer to use cash in restaurants but pretty much use my debit or credit card everywhere else.  

Guess I'll have to stockpile my clean cash and hope I have enough for exact purchases

Honored Contributor

How would the virus get on the money, it would be some one with the virusw ould have to sneeze on the money, i am starting to think some theories are very far fetched

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

How would the virus get on the money, it would be some one with the virusw ould have to sneeze on the money, i am starting to think some theories are very far fetched

Sometimes it's hard to see/feel it from the amount of cash we carry with us.  But I had to do a weekly bank deposit when I worked, and it was truly gross how you could actually feel the "yuck" on your hands from touching the bills and coins.

I imagine people cough into their hands and wipe their eyes and noses then touch their money, which would contaminate it, wouldn't it?  I only know I always scrubbed my hands after preparing the bank deposit!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why am I not finding this on WHO's website?  This is what I did find on another site.

Despite reports that the World Health Organization was pushing people to use contactless payments, a spokesperson for the WHO tells CNBC Make It it has not issued any warnings or statements about the use of cash. Instead, it reiterated that you should wash your hands, including after handling money, especially if you’re eating or touching food.
For starters, COVID-19 doesn’t spread by penetrating the skin on your hands, Michael Knight, assistant professor of medicine at the George Washington School of Medicine and Health Services, tells CNBC Make It.
“Getting coronavirus, or other respiratory viruses like influenza, on your hands only leads to infection when it is transferred from your hand to places like your mouth, nose or eyes,” he says.

Valued Contributor

Public service announcement:

If you are really worried about catching something from your cash, I will be happy to take it off your hands for you.

Honored Contributor

I read that, it makes sense.  I don't use cash, I use my debit card for everything.  It's easy to wipe a debit or credit card soapy water.