Honored Contributor

when you buy food with a nutritional label on it...

[ Edited ]

Do you read it... and decide if it is a good choice for you?  I always read the label of any food I buy.. I want to know how much sodium... if it has saturated and or transfat.... how much sugar and also how many carbs and protein.  I pretty know everything that I eat and what is it it BEFORE I eat it.

Weird? Obsessive? Maybe. But it is just how I roll. 

Honored Contributor

Re: when you buy food with a nutritional label on it...

Yes, my dietician's directive for 'mindful eating'.

Esteemed Contributor

If it's a new product i'm unfamiliar with - yes I'll check sodium and calories.

Basically I don't buy processed foods - i'm a fresh veggie, lots of seafood and little beef & sausage/fatty cold cuts never.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Most of the time but not always.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check labels for prepared foods, yes. Whole foods (oats, grains, fresh produce), no.

Super Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Basically I don't buy processed foods - i'm a fresh veggie, lots of seafood and little beef & sausage/fatty cold cuts never.

@fthunt  Me too! I pretty much shop the perimeter of the store &  the aisles for paper plates & dog stuff. Condiments of course but I don't check labels there. 

Honored Contributor

Definitely YES.  The front label is all marketing.  The ingredient and nutritional labels are what matters.  Reading labels and understanding ingredients has been a big tool for me in eating keto,tracking macros, and understanding how ingredients trigger insulin. 

Trusted Contributor

I read them and look specifically at sugar and a few nasty artificial  ingredients. We recently found out my daughter has an allergy to Shrimp and Corn.  Shrimp is pretty easy to identify without looking at a label.  Corn on the other hand is a nightmare.  I have to look at where and if Corn Syrup is on a label and all forms of corn Sugars - Dextrose, maltodextrin etc.  Even some potato chips have Corn (not oil) as an ingredient. Its those artificial sweetners and corn products that impact her the most.

Respected Contributor

I read labels, more for the country of origin or place of manufacturing than to learn the ingredients.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Check labels for prepared foods, yes. Whole foods, no.

@SilleeMee I read 'em all when it is a product new to me or something I will always question!  Whole foods, Bob's Red Mill, everything on WalMart when we do a pickup.  Yep.  I want to know!