Esteemed Contributor

Re: when I see ads for Rx prescriptions

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I had my first DEXA scan done several years ago it was revealed to me that I needed to do something about my thinning bones. That was when my doctor suggested I get a yearly IV dose of Zometa until my scans became normal. I did and about one year later I experienced cervical spine degeneration and needed surgery or become paralyzed from the neck down. Several doctors could not give me a reason why this happened to my neck but one doctor, the one who prescribed the Zometa, told me that my situation was a rare and severe reaction to the Zometa. I was no longer being offered that kind of Rx and if it was then I would turn it down. I have since taken a proactive approach to getting my bones in good health through diet and exercise. My last scan was normal...thank the Heavens above!Woman Happy

All of my neck bones, including some discs, were so beyond repair that they had to remove all of them and replace them with fake bones and screws. I was in surgery for more than 10 hours with 13 doctors in the room the whole time. I had to sign  my name on the dotted line before the operation saying I might die from this.

Oh no @SilleeMee! Are you doing ok now? That is just horrible and very scary.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I had my first DEXA scan done several years ago it was revealed to me that I needed to do something about my thinning bones. That was when my doctor suggested I get a yearly IV dose of Zometa until my scans became normal. I did and about one year later I experienced cervical spine degeneration and needed surgery or become paralyzed from the neck down. Several doctors could not give me a reason why this happened to my neck but one doctor, the one who prescribed the Zometa, told me that my situation was a rare and severe reaction to the Zometa. I was no longer being offered that kind of Rx and if it was then I would turn it down. I have since taken a proactive approach to getting my bones in good health through diet and exercise. My last scan was normal...thank the Heavens above!Woman Happy

All of my neck bones, including some discs, were so beyond repair that they had to remove all of them and replace them with fake bones and screws. I was in surgery for more than 10 hours with 13 doctors in the room the whole time. I had to sign  my name on the dotted line before the operation saying I might die from this.

Yes, @happycat, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.Woman Happy I just have very limited mobility in my neck.  It's mostly turning my head side to side that is shortened. Makes it a little difficult to drive but I manage quite well otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Yes, @happycat, I'm fine. Thanks for asking.Woman Happy I just have very limited mobility in my neck.  It's mostly turning my head side to side that is shortened. Makes it a little difficult to drive but I manage quite well otherwise.

I'm glad that you are doing well.

Respected Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

i'd  rather have the disease than the side effects

I told my pcp I won't do dexiscan because I won't take the Rx for it

the PA said she'd note my medical records

I workout and lift weights  they need to get off my case

That's a luxury. One of the side effects of a long-term medication I'm on is death in very rare cases. Side effect of not taking the medication is death in a much greater number of cases.

Honored Contributor

a woman I used to work with had the very same problem with her jaw after bing on this med...she also got the annual shot
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

In some ways the OTC promotions (including pain relievers, vitamins/supplement/herbs, and the whole gamut) can be worse, or at least as bad, since they don't have the same restrictions and regulations RX meds have to abide by.   It still comes down to doing our best to find reliable, trustworthy actual experts, do our due diligence in researching and looking at all educated and knowledgeable opinions, being insightful and sensitive to and in tune with our own needs, and interacting with professionals face-to-face in our real life.    They know us, our histories and perhaps family histories, our individual needs...   and if, heaven forbid, we find ourselves at the hospital or the emergency department, they will be there...  the internet website experts (including us posters with our silly names😜) won't be there.

@dooBdoo, well said. I often read a general feeling of mistrust of physicians in general here. I would have become septic on Saturday without a wonderful ER doc who treated me immediately for a severe kidney infection. Without some of these meds available today, I would be long gone... 

Thanks, @Trinity11.   I think your comment is well said, too.   And I'm thankful the medical professionals were there when you needed them -- grateful to have you here with us, each and every day!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova