Esteemed Contributor

when I see ads for Rx prescriptions

i'd  rather have the disease than the side effects

I told my pcp I won't do dexiscan because I won't take the Rx for it

the PA said she'd note my medical records

I workout and lift weights  they need to get off my case

Respected Contributor

Re: when I see ads for Rx prescriptions

There have always been side effects with meds, but be careful what you say about taking chances with the disease. Those commercials are a little ridiculous, and are required to state all the negative. Just talk it over with your doc! 

Trusted Contributor

I agree 100%.

I had one of those scans some years back.  When I was prescribed medication, and I researched all the potential problems (which are not that uncommon), I opted not to take it.  Too scarey. 

I also work out religiously with weights because of benefits. 

A friend of a friend who has taken those meds for years has now developed the serious jaw problem that is a possible side effect.  She will need surgery to save her jaw, but can't have it until the medication is out of her system which will take about 3 months (she got the yearly shot, which from what I read is the worse choice for the very reason that it stays in your system, and should problems arise, you're stuck with it.)

Honored Contributor

I turn down lots of times medicines my Dr tells me I should TRY.

My Dr said, "Why do you turn me down on some of these meds?"  I said, "Think about it.  Drs just keep adding medicine on top of medicines and on and on.  One medicine has to counteract the other medicine and so on".

This is the cardiologist.  He said, "You know what....you're right".   So, instead of him giving me so many meds, he narrows it down to one.  I also won't take generic and he knows it.  He goes into his 'closet' and hands me the REAL medicine.  

He recently changed my meds and said, "Try this for 2 months.  It's really good and it has the two meds you take now combined."

I tried it and called him and said, "My insurance company won't even sell it or cover it because it's too expensive for them to carry it.  I can't even buy it".  He said, "Go to my office and tell the nurse to give you 2 more months worth and make an appt for two months from now".  

I did and she gave me all of these little bottles (each bottle had 7 pills in them) you can imagine how many little bottles there were.

So, soon it will be 2 months and I'll go see him and we will talk about the meds.

Same thing with the arthritis Dr.  She limits it to one arthritis medicine and nothing else.

I think more people should be responsible for their own health.  Read everything you can able prescribed meds.  Know your own body.  Know what does and doesn't work for you.

Too many people think Drs are GODS.  They know what works for most people but a Dr once told me the human body generally responds the same way.  It's up to the patient to listen to their body and think about what works for them.  Then work with the Dr.

Esteemed Contributor

it's the side effects more than the costs really

Honored Contributor

My Dr used to hate those commercials. He always said it was Madison Ave practicing medicine

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

it's the side effects more than the costs really

It's the Biologics that have the ads that are so scary.  The drugs are usually manufactured from something living and it changes your RNA when the drug takes effect.  

I'd rather know up front what I'm getting into.  Reminds me how blessed I am to have good health and to take care of myself, not take anything for granted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I had my first DEXA scan done several years ago it was revealed to me that I needed to do something about my thinning bones. That was when my doctor suggested I get a yearly IV dose of Zometa until my scans became normal. I did and about one year later I experienced cervical spine degeneration and needed surgery or become paralyzed from the neck down. Several doctors could not give me a reason why this happened to my neck but one doctor, the one who prescribed the Zometa, told me that my situation was a rare and severe reaction to the Zometa. I was no longer being offered that kind of Rx and if it was then I would turn it down. I have since taken a proactive approach to getting my bones in good health through diet and exercise. My last scan was normal...thank the Heavens above!Woman Happy

All of my neck bones, including some discs, were so beyond repair that they had to remove all of them and replace them with fake bones and screws. I was in surgery for more than 10 hours with 13 doctors in the room the whole time. I had to sign  my name on the dotted line before the operation saying I might die from this.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I had my first DEXA scan done several years ago it was revealed to me that I needed to do something about my thinning bones. That is when my doctor suggested I get a yearly IV dose of Zometa until my sans became normal. I did and about one year later I experienced cervical spine degeneration and needed surgery or become paralyzed from the neck down. Several doctors could not give me a reason why this happened to my neck but one doctor, the one who prescribed the Zometa, told me that my situation was a rare and severe reaction to the Zometa. I was no longer being offered that kind of Rx and if it was then I would turn it down. I have since taken a proactive approach to getting my bones in good health through diet and exercise. My last scan was normal...thank the Heavens above!Woman Happy

All of my neck bones, including some discs, were so beyond repair that they had to remove all of them and replace them with fake bones and screws. I was in surgery for more than 10 hours with 13 doctors in the room the whole time. I had to sign  my name on the dotted line before the operation saying I might die from this.

@SilleeMee 🙁😲. Oh my!

Honored Contributor

The bill for that surgery was more than the cost of my house. @SeaMaiden Insurance covered most of it but it still left me with a large debt.Woman Tongue