Honored Contributor

Re: weight gain & aging

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity- As I think we've discussed, I don't "do" dairy or grain or added nutritive sweeteners or salt, but I do "do" high quality (organic when possible meat, fowl, and poultry).

I love LOVE cheese but have it very rarely, usually as a garnish, because of the typical higher sodium content.

I am totally with you on the concept of inflammation, and have, of couturier lost a lot of weight. 

While I don't believe that one eating plan fits all, I absolutely believe that there are certain things that no one needs or should set, refined sugar and flour being among the top 2.

Cheers to ALL OF US who have found healthy strengthening ways of managing the ways to nourish our bodies!

I wanted to add- I LOVE vegetarian eating and have veggie based meals often during the week, but not ALL vegan ( some though!).

Honored Contributor

Re: weight gain & aging

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity Thank you for sharing your story.It is difficult to lose weight as we age.I used to be able to lose 10 lbs in about a week. It was easy. Now not so much!!

I've cut down on sugar,red meat & dessert.I won't cut it out completely.I enjoy it to much & life is to short.I drink lots of water & exercise. I enjoy walking but find it difficult to walk outdoors.Living in the northeast the elements hold me back.So I power walk in my house where I can control the temperature. I go up & down the stairs & walk around the entire house for at least 30 minutes 6 days a week. I also own a recumbent bike which I go on several times a week.

I find that this works for me.I've managed to hold on to the figure that I've had since I got married over 36 years ago.

I feel that if you crave something you should treat yourself once in a while.Re energize & move on.That's what keeps me on track!!

Interestingly once removed all processed foods including hidden sugar salt chemicals unable to pronounce never crave what you speak of. In fact, Complete opposite. Appetite calm and satisfied. First week or so detoxing my body painful. Gradually worked up level of exercise. Mental health changed for the better. I'm not deprived in least. Funny how switch mind body follows. New lease on life. Wish you health and happiness. Thanks for sharing.🙋
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity Thank you for sharing your story.It is difficult to lose weight as we age.I used to be able to lose 10 lbs in about a week. It was easy. Now not so much!!

I've cut down on sugar,red meat & dessert.I won't cut it out completely.I enjoy it to much & life is to short.I drink lots of water & exercise. I enjoy walking but find it difficult to walk outdoors.Living in the northeast the elements hold me back.So I power walk in my house where I can control the temperature. I go up & down the stairs & walk around the entire house for at least 30 minutes 6 days a week. I also own a recumbent bike which I go on several times a week.

I find that this works for me.I've managed to hold on to the figure that I've had since I got married over 36 years ago.

I feel that if you crave something you should treat yourself once in a while.Re energize & move on.That's what keeps me on track!!

Interestingly once removed all processed foods including hidden suger salt chemicals unable to pronounce never crave what you speak of. In fact, Complete opposite. Appetite calm and satisfied. First week or so detoxing my body was painful. Gradually worked up to where I am today. Mental health changed for the better. I'm not deprived in least. Funny how switch mind body follows. New lease on life. Wish you health and happiness. Thanks for sharing.🙋

I will have to disagree @NicksmomESQ- in my history, a "craving" is an unhealthy reaction to something not really needed for my best health. Surrendering to cravings in my personal world represents a step backward in my progress. I no longer characterize these slips as "treats. In the long run, slips make me unhappier rather than happier.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Interestingly once removed all processed foods including hidden sugar salt chemicals unable to pronounce never crave what you speak of. In fact, Complete opposite. Appetite calm and satisfied. First week or so detoxing my body painful. Gradually worked up level of exercise. Mental health changed for the better. I'm not deprived in least. Funny how switch mind body follows. New lease on life. Wish you health and happiness. Thanks for sharing.🙋

You crave what you consume.

If you drink sodas all day, the next day you crave sodas

Same with sugar or salt.

The success so far of the human race is eating a variety of food sources and each "body" is different.   I try to eat a variety of foods and I try to eat local.    But I also believe in modern medicine.   I like to have my labs checked regularly to find any abnormalities.

Exercise is great as well.    Or any physical activity.   Do some bending and stooping when gardening.    Do leg lifts when sitting or lying.    If you are alive - LIVE!

I agree with your outlook and congratulate you on your success.

Valued Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity  I'm awfully happy for you!  You've discoverd the fabled Fountain of Youth!

I see so many threads about anti-wrinkle products, or how coloring hair makes a woman look younger, but the true test in my opinion, has much more to do with the weight and ease of motion the woman in question possesses.

The woman who can chase a toddler, or get up from the floor unaided, or ascend a flight of stairs without using the handrail is the woman who conveys youth and vitality.

Obviously that is not the main reason to lose weight but it is a delightful side-effect.

I once knew a young man who lost 30 pounds.  I asked him why he did it and he said because he was fundamentally a lazy man.Smiley Very Happy  He said everything in life is easier when he is thinner, from carrying his toddler, to carrying groceries, and he felt like he was worth making the effort.

Anyway, congratulations and thanks for staring this thread.  Your story is inspiring. 

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity  I'm awfully happy for you!  You've discoverd the fabled Fountain of Youth!

I see so many threads about anti-wrinkle products, or how coloring hair makes a woman look younger, but the true test in my opinion, has much more to do with the weight and ease of motion the woman in question possesses.

The woman who can chase a toddler, or get up from the floor unaided, or ascend a flight of stairs without using the handrail is the woman who conveys youth and vitality.

Obviously that is not the main reason to lose weight but it is a delightful side-effect.

I once knew a young man who lost 30 pounds.  I asked him why he did it and he said because he was fundamentally a lazy man.Smiley Very Happy  He said everything in life is easier when he is thinner, from carrying his toddler, to carrying groceries, and he felt like he was worth making the effort.

Anyway, congratulations and thanks for staring this thread.  Your story is inspiring. 

Thank you. Loved what you said. My Dad 94 sixty years ago adapted plant based lifestyle. Slim and incredible active. To the point travels golfs swims and so on. His skin omg! Beautiful. Loved what you said about aging and skin care. Amazing amount women spend on fancy lotions and potions big business. Thank you again for sharing excellent points. By the way, Skin conditions little bumps back and lower arms gone. Best medicine! Plant based.💁
Esteemed Contributor

@violann @software @Sweet_Serenity Thanks for your comments.I get that you have different opinions that's why in my post I specifically stated my opinion of what works for me. I have managed to cut back without cutting out certain foods.The occasional indulgence has kept me on track.It hasn't increased my cravings at all but instead has curtailed them.

My DH & I are on the same page & we're doing great 👍.Our numbers are normal.Our weight is normal.Our energy levels are up.We rarely get sick.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Good luck on your journey & stay well!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@violann @software @Sweet_Serenity Thanks for your comments.I get that you have different opinions that's why in my post I specifically stated my opinion of what works for me. I have managed to cut back without cutting out certain foods.The occasional indulgence has kept me on track.It hasn't increased my cravings at all but instead has curtailed them.

My DH & I are on the same page & we're doing great 👍.Our numbers are normal.Our weight is normal.Our energy levels are up.We rarely get sick.

What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Good luck on your journey & stay well!!

Never spoke in the term my lifestyle was for Everyone. For myself simple uncomplicated. Like breathing in oxygen and nutrients.
Respected Contributor

I work for a company that promotes good healthcare.  We are an employer funded pcp group in 23 states now.

We have all learned the plant based diet as our usual diet now.  2/3 of the plate is fruit/vegetables, 1/3 starch and 1/3 protein (which does not always mean meat)

We have learned to get protein from plant foods, beans, tofu etc

Although I have only lost about 7lbs, I FEEL so much better. I already drink more water than just about anyone, so that was NOT hard for me.  The worst part for me is PORTION control!!!

I feel like this will be my diet for the rest of my life, however, when I go to a birthday party, I will have cake.  When I go to a party, I will have a cocktail.  Just wise choices when I can

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity    Your post hits home.   It is so much harder to keep fit after 60.  You really need to stay moving and watch what foods and how much food you eat.