Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Except in rare cases (continued or additional physical activity, health issues for examples) weight gain and aging do go together.

I heard years ago that as we age, we need/should eat fewer calories.  I've only understood why in the last few years.  As we age, we lose muscle.  And muscle burns calories.  So...with the loss of muscle, we burn fewer calories and should eat fewer to maintain our weight.

There are SO many diets and all of them are the best...to different people.

Since reading Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of Us by Matt Fitzgerald, my low carb, paleo, whole 30 and smoothie books are headed for new homes.

Moderation in all things.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

But, with continued or additional physical activity and a healthful diet in the proper caloric range for one's body, aging should have a minimal impact on weight. It might take determination and patience, especially for those who may not have always had the best habits, but it most certainly is doable.

True.  And that caloric range changes with the loss of muscle that usually comes with aging.

@esmerelda, yup. But exercise can help prevent that...it's really a win-win.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity What a great idea and I know the local TJMax has the ice pop molds that you put in the freezer.  Might be great to make lemon/lime pops also!  Are you on a 18/6 IF schedule?  This has pretty much become the norm for me by default because I am not interested/hungry in breakfast but start my day with lemon/lime water.  Do you post on any vegan/IF forums?

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Sissyrose wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity Where do you buy frozen Tazo-Passion Tea bars? Thanks!!

Make myself. Stevia in the raw. Yum!!

Honored Contributor

Re: weight gain & aging

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity

(thread title only)

I view this as something that does not have to come true. Sure, genetics/gender, and many other things can make it harder to control, but like many other things in a life that has many decades, it can be a choice.

Many of the men my age, or a little younger, a couple older, are ones that have been active many of those decades. I do not mean activity like "having a physically hard job, which I did". By active I mean they actually did things they enjoyed, and some they didn't enjoy, but they had a reason to continue. That reason pretty much expresses itself in the title of this thread.

Most of those men, and women, I met from either hockey/running, and being auto racing. All of these involve doing things that are physically hard and challenging, but jot a job or profession.

Now my former co-workers for decades? A whole different group. They felt working in 100+° factory doing heavy physical work over their 8 hour day, was being active. And yes, most of them losing 20-30lbs. would just be a good start. Many of these co-workers, and friends have died, some I believe because their choice was to live life their way, not mine.

So age being a factor in about anything a person isn't happy with about themselves?  A very big majority of us elderly are not buying it.

E.T.A.   I want to qualify this by saying "those that are physically and mentally able".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity  Cool, will have to try this

Honored Contributor

@Ms Nixie wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity  Cool, will have to try this

Your pug!! Adorable. Keep in touch. Changed my life. Not only loosing weight mind body soul. Most importantly, Health.🙋