Honored Contributor

Re: waiting for mammogram results-worried...

Imo , if you are putting yourself through heck like this every year , and you are neg for the gene , you should probably be talking to a therapist. This is not normal behavior.
Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 happy housewife said:

It sounds like you are blowing this way out of proportion. Why manufacture something to worry about where it does not exist? I am a BC survivor and I march in there , get it over with, and forget about it til the letter comes in the mail. Getting my undies in a knot would not make the results any different.

Happy, as another BC survivor, I sympathize with the OP. If you don't worry when mammogram time comes around for you, you are the exception and not the rule because I know of NO ONE who doesn't worry about it, myself included. I know she has never been diagnosed with it, but her mother died from it and that is on her mind.

Respected Contributor

Do not wait for a call or a letter.

Call them tomorrow and don't hang up til you get your results. Be pro-active about your health.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 happy housewife said: Imo , if you are putting yourself through heck like this every year , and you are neg for the gene , you should probably be talking to a therapist. This is not normal behavior.

I think it's very normal.........your response was not.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 turtle52 said:

I KEEP TELLING YOU WOMEN TO GO TO A PLACE WHERE THE RESULTS ARE READ IMMEDIATELY BY A DOCTOR AND HE/SHE GIVES YOU THE RESULTS BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

My mother had BC TWICE and I HATE going for mammograms/sonograms. However, switching to a facility where I get the results IMMEDIATELY has helped me tremendously. There in no need to wait or go back for additional images--if you need them you will get them right away. This is one of the best decisions that I have EVER made in my life!

BTW, my mother turned 96 in October! BC is NOT a death sentence.

No one around here reads results immediately unless it is a diagnostic test. For me to get instant results I have to go to downtown Cleveland, which is doable but a drive. I've done it. It's quite a process.

Honored Contributor

On 1/27/2015 happy housewife said: Imo , if you are putting yourself through heck like this every year , and you are neg for the gene , you should probably be talking to a therapist. This is not normal behavior.

Honestly, I think YOU need a therapist because there is definitely something wrong with you. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

Esteemed Contributor

My result are read before I leave. No waiting. If there is an issue there is a nurse with an office assigned to ""negatives"" that explains the concern from the procedure. Things have changed in the last few years. I can remember waiting also.

Respected Contributor

On 1/27/2015 lynbeechwood said: Yes- I am a chronic worrier to begin with so this is not easy. I also took the brca test and tested negative but to me I dont even trust this anymore-I analyze the mammographers every move- facial expression to see if I can tell if there is an issue. Everytime my phone rings im beside myself. Thank you for your support.

My mother had a saying for these kind of things. She'd say "don't borrow trouble."

I think her saying is VERY wise, and I TRY to employ it, as I tend toward the worrier type. Since I am an RN, I know ALL the AWFUL things that CAN happen!

She'd say you will have plenty to worry about if the awful thing happened, so why do it until you NEED to?

Wishing you the very best.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

The waiting is horrible ~ whether it's an hour or days! Thinking of you and sending prayers ~

I understand how you're feeling and sympathize with the anxiety you're feeling ~

Blessings to you ~ Positive thoughts!

Frequent Contributor

Sugarlips, I had the same experience as you! Maybe I am that way from 30 years of being an R.N. And watching the bravest souls deal with awful things! I had a meltdown and the tech called me that day with the results. And yes, I do need help! I honestly believe I have a form of PTSD from being a nurse for so many years!