Honored Contributor

Re: update about my son in law

@viva923,

Continuing prayers and good thoughts for your daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren.  

It’s been a very intense few days with much medical info to process, but I think your family will grow stronger under this crisis and fight hard to deal with these circumstances as best as anyone possibly could.    

I was 5 when my dad contracted bacterial meningitis and nearly died.   The memories of those weeks of my dad unconscious in the hospital, mom being with him all day, waiting for him to wake up, is what first showed me the depth of my parents love for each other.  

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear the news as it is, but at least he can get dialysis.

I'm sure he'll be put on the transplant list soon, if not already.

Can he go with just one kidney donated?  Or does it have to be both?  

If he had a family member to donate one kidney, he could bypass the list totally and just go with that.  But I'm not sure if they would want to do both instead.

Also, if it is just one kidney needed, people do go through their churches, social media, and word of mouth to try and find a donor.  Successfully!

Praying for you and your family.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

He'll have to go thru some stages of denial, anger etc before he accepts it. Hope he gets a kidney very soon. Is there any family ( Mom , Dad, siblings) who may donate one for him? I lost my rt kidney to cancer 28 years ago and I'm doing great with just one. I am in stage 3 renal failure now but that is because of a patient with DTs who hit me in my left side with a broomstick so hard  actually fractured my left kidney. Thank Goodness they were able to save it but instead of being kidney shaped it looks like a snake on the sonogram. Anyway it works and I'm stable right now with my kidney failure.

So sorry you  are going through this.  You sound like a strong positive person, God bless you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

When my son was on dialysis he went to the hospital twice a week for treatment for many months.  Last year they found a donor and he is doing very well and recently they removed a cancer from his liver.  If it isn't one thing with him it is another but as his oldest daughter said to me, he keeps coming back stronger.  Stay strong, things have a way of working out but you need to be positive for your daughter and son-in-law.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I’m so sorry that your family is going through this!! Your daughter sounds awesome!! Her strength will carry her DH & children through to the other side.

Good luck to you & your family!! 🙏

Esteemed Contributor

@viva923, I am so sorry for this diagnosis but happy to hear that your daughter is taking charge.   I hope that a donor is found as they transition to a new way of living.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@151949 wrote:

He'll have to go thru some stages of denial, anger etc before he accepts it. Hope he gets a kidney very soon. Is there any family ( Mom , Dad, siblings) who may donate one for him? I lost my rt kidney to cancer 28 years ago and I'm doing great with just one. I am in stage 3 renal failure now but that is because of a patient with DTs who hit me in my left side with a broomstick so hard  actually fractured my left kidney. Thank Goodness they were able to save it but instead of being kidney shaped it looks like a snake on the sonogram. Anyway it works and I'm stable right now with my kidney failure.

So sorry you  are going through this.  You sound like a strong positive person, God bless you.

Thank you - this was all a long time ago now. 

Honored Contributor

My friend was on dialysis for a little over five years.  Her kidney issues were due to cancer, which ended up winning.  She worked full time and traveled for business up until the last year.  She was able to live a relatively normal life.  She left work early two days a week and worked at the dialysis center.  She traveled a handful of times a year and would get dialysis in the different state.  The only thing that jumps out is she had to limit how much she drank.  She had always been a big water drinker and could no longer drink that much.  Best wishes to your SIL.