Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I keep checking out drug plans, i don't see any that will pay for it ,costing me on average,close to $400.00 a month,which i can not manage this.

@goldensrbest   There should be another much less expensive drug that your doctor could prescribe that would work.  Have you discussed this with him/her?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest , who prescribed this for you, was it your PCP?

Do you have an Endocrinologist?  

If it was your PCP, did he or she try anything in between or just take you straight from Metformin to adding the Trulicity?

Have you been referred to a Certified Diabetic Educator?

Unless you have exhausted all other options, I wouldn't be so quick to take the expensive drugs.

My husbands PCP is a pill pusher and wanted him to go straight from 2 doses of Metformin right to Trijardy without trying anything in between.  When he said no due to the cost she trieda combination of Janumet and Farxiga which were even more expensive and still not covered by the plan we decided to see an Endocrinologist and cut her out of treating his diabetes.

He sent us to a CDE and it was the best thing he could have done.  Because of her his A1C went from 11.4 to 6.1 in less than 2 months.  Last check he is down to 5.7.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Yes - I pay a $45 co-pay for a 3-month supply.  

Would you please tel;l me more,what plan, name, i simply can not take my medication as i am suppose to, just too expensive.

I'm with Aetna Medicare PPO - it's a Medicare Advantage plan thru my former employer - drug plan is Silver Scripts.  Good luck.

After being on Metformin for 5 years I started the Trulicity - it was a Godsend.  After 5 yrs on it I'm no longer considered diabetic - my dr told  me I could stop the meds but it was up to me.  I'm waiting to see what my A1C is when I have it checked this month.

If your insurance pays for it or you can otherwise afford it it's worth it to attend Diabetic education classes  at a local hospital/medical facility.  Seeing a nutritionist or dietician  might also be helpful.   Or like someone else said a Diabetic Educator.  Or Endocrinologist

And as others have mentioned the Trulicity company offers their own discounts and coupons - you should check that out.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter 

I understand that a doctors job is to prescribe medication to help the patient, but totally agree with your husband there are circumstances when a patient needs to say NO to these new and expensive meds!  

I have told all of my doctors past and present that I will not let them turn me into a walking pharmacy.  Even tho my meds are totally covered thru the VA, I will not agree to take more pills because I'm over 65 and they think I need to be taking this and that.  Unless I see a test result that indicates a severe problem (which has not happened), my answer is NO.   

@goldensrbest, I hope you find an easy solution to this dilemma.  I personally would ask my doctor to try a combination of the older oral diabetic meds to help with your diabetes instead of the Trulicity insulin.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Any one have a medicare ,part d ,that covers this drug?

I have Aetna and it covers it. Actually, @goldensrbest , there are many alternatives a lot safer than Trulicity. There are class action law suits that this drug causes pancreatic cancer. Trulicity is not insulin. Insulin might be a better alternative in a small dose as it has been proven to lower blood glucose.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I have had many conversations with my doctors about pancreatic cancer connected to diabetic meds and insulin.   

My last conversation was just last month, and after hearing my trusted medical provider say that my age, my weight, my diet, and my family history are all equal contributing factors to pancreatic cancer, I pretty much said to H with it and ended the conversation.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Trinity11 

I have had many conversations with my doctors about pancreatic cancer connected to diabetic meds and insulin.   

My last conversation was just last month, and after hearing my trusted medical provider say that my age, my weight, my diet, and my family history are all equal contributing factors to pancreatic cancer, I pretty much said to H with it and ended the conversation.   

@RedTop , unfortunately Type 1 diabetics and people with Type 2 with a proven C Peptide test where insulin production is near existant have no choice and must take medication such as insulin. So far I haven't read anything about Novolog and Levemir insulin causing pancreatic cancer. Same with Metformin, which helps with insulin resistance and some studies claim life extending..

Respected Contributor

Insulin is the best choice for Type 2s.  When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was against taking it but now there are types of insulin that you take once daily - even twice - without having to check your glucose numbers and adjust your carbs/protein.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Insulin is the best choice for Type 2s.  When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was against taking it but now there are types of insulin that you take once daily - even twice - without having to check your glucose numbers and adjust your carbs/protein.

Insulin is rarely the best choice for Type 2 diabetics as it is a fat building hormone and the last thing most Type 2 diabetics need is to gain weight. Only when all other choices have been exhausted should a Type 2 diabetic incorporate insulin into their treatment plan. You are talking about background insulin BASAL insulin that is usually taken once per day, sometimes twice. You always need to check your blood glucose levels because you can go too low (hypoglycemia) resulting in coma or death if not immediately corrected.  All diabetics Type 1 and Type 2 who use insulin need to adjust their insulin to their food intake. Not testing and not making sure that food intake matches insulin useage is a recipe for disaster.

Signed,

A Type 1 diabetic for more than fifty years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Insulin is rarely the best choice for Type 2 diabetics as it is a fat building hormone and the last thing most Type 2 diabetics need is to gain weight. Only when all other choices have been exhausted should a Type 2 diabetic incorporate insulin into their treatment plan. You are talking about background insulin BASAL insulin that is usually taken once per day, sometimes twice. You always need to check your blood glucose levels because you can go too low (hypoglycemia) resulting in coma or death if not immediately corrected.  All diabetics Type 1 and Type 2 who use insulin need to adjust their insulin to their food intake. Not testing and not making sure that food intake matches insulin useage is a recipe for disaster.

Signed,

A Type 1 diabetic for more than fifty years.

@Trinity11  I have a question for you. What if your blood glucose level is a little too high, what could be done? I don't mean daily. Just in case you ate something that affect it then. If this has happened to you, what did you do?