Honored Contributor

Re: tips for colonoscopy prep

@lgfan wrote:

@beckyb1012 "I got told be back in three.  Nov. 4th will mark one year and I bet the next two will go by in a blink of an eye. Oh well I will face it less stressed out for sure."

I am sorry to hear about that beckyb1012.  The good thing is that the doctors have not found anything bad when you have had the procedures done.

I had 4 polyps removed but due to one of the size of one that is the reason for not getting the 10 year mark.  But I was 10 years past due having this my first one so.......  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

With all of the science in this world, I don't understand why they cannot make the drink palatable. I had to pay $65.00 for my prep and it was so bad I really didn't finish it, just had a 7-up to finish out. I had a huge polyp, so had to do another in a year's time, this time I had 2 small polyps, so I can go 3 years. I will ask for a different prep next time. Good luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

It's not very pleasant but thankfully we only have to do it every 5 years, right?  Hang in there -- you can do it!  

Have to do it?  I'm 73 and don't plan to EVER have another one!

@spent2much 

The average age for Colon Cancer at the time of diagnosis: 68 years old for men/72 years old for women.

The risk of Colorectal Cancer increases with age, not decreases.  I had my last Colonoscopy and Endoscopy at the same time about 3 months ago. 

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I used the tablets because I can't keep down all the fluids. Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover it so I had to pay $200 for it but for me it was worth it. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Helen Bach  I would have asked for the pills,,,

My mom always took them.

Made things much easier.

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:

I have to drink the gallon.  Somebody tell me what could make it easier.

Also, I'm having the colonoscopy in the hospital this time and not the Clinic, which makes me very afraid.  I just need to get done with the prep, and the procedure and get on with my life.  Please please please give me some tips on how to drink so much liquid so fast!  Thank you

@Helen Bach 

???    I understand the trying to drink the prep part .... but why does having the procedure in a hospital make you very afraid?  Why does it matter?  I would think it being done at a hospital is a better option.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't drink the entire gallon.... once everything was clear I stopped ....leaving several more cups...the procedure itself wasn't bad it's getting that horrible tasting stuff swallowed....if that nasty stuff wasn't bad enough I had to take 4 dulcolax tablets....I survived barely..

Honored Contributor

If I had to drink the gallon I would look for another doctor, cruel and unusual punishment. I watched my Mom suffer thru that and I swore I could never do it. I have had 2 and take the pills, my choice, my doc is very flexible with the prep, he is not out to make it difficult more than it has to be. I wish you luck!!

Super Contributor

You guys are all the best!  I see I'm not the only one having to "get ready" and having had done one (or many) colonoscopiesl  Thank you for the many suggestions.  I don't feel as apprehensive now, though I still might gag with the nasty mix.  Good ideas to eat light a few days before, drink thru a straw and gargle with soda!  You all are very helpful.  I'm so glad they didn't shut these forums down!  Thank you all

Honored Contributor

@pieman wrote:

@Helen Bach  I would have asked for the pills,,,

My mom always took them.

Made things much easier.

That's one thing I don't understand .... if there is a pill option that is effective, why is anybody drinking a gallon of "gunk"?