Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@matty liz 

I'm so sorry you've been cursed with tinnitus.  People who don't have it have absolutely no idea what it's like.

I have it as well.  My version is a high pitched loud  "electrical" whine that is present 24/7.  Trying to go to sleep at night often takes 1-2 hours, because of noise interruption...

until last Wednesday, when I started taking 300 mg of Gabapentin in the late afternoon.  I do take other meds at bedtime, so don't know if the Gabapentin is combining with them, but it's been eons since I went to sleep almost immediately and did not wake up one time, due to pain or tinnitis.  These 5 days have been a miracle!

Super Contributor

I have it also, ringing in the ears.  I have heard stress can make it worse.  I think I have low-level hearing loss due to it.  My dr. told me a couple years ago that the FDA was coming out with a drug for it.  I haven't heard anything else about it, but she said in about two years and it has been two years.  You can ask your drs. if there is anything available.  My dr. said the lipo-flavinoids aren't effective.

Honored Contributor

I also have tinnitus. I went to a ENT Doctor and an audiologist. Both offered no solution. I ended up getting hearing aides. The audiologist said it would help to cancel out the noise. I am still waiting for that to happen. 

He was funny. He acted surprised when I said I did not notice a difference in the noise if I had the hearing aides in or had the hearing aides out. The noise was the same. Guess he had been told differently by other people.

I have learned to live with it. So has my family. Even with hearing aides in, I often ask them to repeat what they said. The noise in my head is just so loud.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I also have tinnitus. I went to a ENT Doctor and an audiologist. Both offered no solution. I ended up getting hearing aides. The audiologist said it would help to cancel out the noise. I am still waiting for that to happen. 

He was funny. He acted surprised when I said I did not notice a difference in the noise if I had the hearing aides in or had the hearing aides out. The noise was the same. Guess he had been told differently by other people.

I have learned to live with it. So has my family. Even with hearing aides in, I often ask them to repeat what they said. The noise in my head is just so loud.

This (bolded by me) is actually something I've been wondering.  I figured it was probably not likely to be true, but it would be a great way to not only hear b

Honored Contributor
Have you been checked for IIH?
Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@matty liz @Did you see an ent?  If so my ent doctor says to try

lipo flavonoid. They are having good results with it. The box will say LipoFlavonoid plus for ear ringing. Good Luck!

Urban legend. Lipo Flavonoid does nothing for tinnitus. My dh has suffered for many, many years and he fell for the scam of using LF. It does nothing but deflate your wallet. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Sorry, but what is llH?  Would love to find a reason and treat, thanks

Honored Contributor

ILH = intralabyrinthine hemorrhage

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if I have it or not. It has been going too long. Noise now no one hears but me and I am going nuts. Also a hearing aid. Don't know if they are right--A lot of money to spend for 2 ears.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I don't know if I have it or not. It has been going too long. Noise now no one hears but me and I am going nuts. Also a hearing aid. Don't know if they are right--A lot of money to spend for 2 ears.

Sorry you are still problems with that noise.