Super Contributor

I feel for all of you that suffer with this.  My brother has had this condition for a number of years.  I feel so badly for him.  He has trouble sleeping, has a hard time hearing when people are speaking to him in a normal speaking tone, can't tolerate the sound of a train whistle--has to cover both of his ears.

Wish they could find a cure for this!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I did hear today, low magnesium levels may cause this. Ask your Dr to test  your vit levels

I sure hope that helps somebody, but it doesn't help me.  I take Magnesium for other reasons, every day, and no dif in the tinnitis.

Does anybody else ever get that sound of a slamming door in their ears?  Odd how many sounds there can be with this.

Honored Contributor

@matty liz 

Have you considered, or has anyone mentioned, a white noise machine?  

If you aren't familiar .... google and check it out.

Honored Contributor

I have had tinnitus for years.  My ENT told me that supplements would not help.  I have tried two different white noise machines and have a white noise App on my phone.  None of them helped, so I don't use anything.  The ringing in my ears never stops.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

5640EA31-A930-46FF-B4A1-2F568BA2F5AA.png18E3620A-EEEC-4AB1-8F71-AB879204A64C.pngAt his moment my right ear is hearing a sound like an old-fashioned modem. I’m never without tinnitus but I don’t hear voices, just sounds. Aspirin will give me tinnitus, temporarily, in my other ear. Tinnitus is a well-known side effect of NSAIDS. I hear more when lying down than standing up. I’ve adjusted to it and can ignore it somewhat. I’ve had different types of vertigo, including labrynthitis, over the years, and the tinnitus has worsened with these episodes.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I have had tinnitus for years.  My ENT told me that supplements would not help.  I have tried two different white noise machines and have a white noise App on my phone.  None of them helped, so I don't use anything.  The ringing in my ears never stops.

Studies of the use of white noise to alleviate tinnitus have had conflicting results. Here are two such conflicting studies.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-00575-0

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/article-abstract/2697852

Honored Contributor

I'm glad that the white noise thing does help some people.  I think that for some of us who have constant and frequently loud tinnitis the only way is to drown it out.  As I mentioned, for me anyway, the only way I can make it less apparent is either loud headphones with music or attending a loud rock concert.  Those are the two times I can just hear what is happening on the OUTSIDE of my head.

I think that's why it is such a challenge.  The sounds are coming from the inside of your head so they are closer than any other sound you can create from the outside.

Mine isn't very loud, so far, today so that's pleasant and I always try to appreciate those times.   Much of the time mine is about as loud as somebody who is a loud-talker.

To a degree, you do get used to it.  Often I'm not even zeroed in on it at all and can go on with other things and it doesn't affect my abilities.  But I can go for weeks having it being really loud.

The other challenge that I have is that it makes it difficult to hear other things and, especially, if there are more than one sound going on outside my head.  I usually can barely hear just two things at a time - the tinnitis and one more thing.  I think that is why, now that manners seem somewhat obsolete for many people, I get extremely agitated when I am in the presence of people over-talking each other.  I cannot listen to that many things at a time.

For reasons I haven't figured out my husband, who has a fairly big booming type of voice, is now in this mode of talking so low that it's barely above a whisper.    I feel like he's messing with me but I just try to deal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Studies of the use of white noise to alleviate tinnitus have had conflicting results. Here are two such conflicting studies.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-00575-0

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaotolaryngology/article-abstract/2697852

Those are two very interesting articles @Mindy D .  The first one convinced me to try my white noise App again (I returned both white noise machines).  The second one makes me think I'm better off just living with the tinnitus.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

For those of you suffering with this, I have white noise in the background (an air purifer) when I'm sleeping, and that has definitely helped with my quality of sleep.

Honored Contributor

I never knew so many people lived with this condition.😮I wish they would do more studies to find a cure for all of you.