Esteemed Contributor

A drug manufacturer is recalling bottles of thyroid medication because the drug was made with active ingredients were not sourced to proper FDA standards.

According to the FDA,

Westminster Pharmaceuticals

issued the voluntary recall last week for all lots of Levothyroxine and Liothyronine. The company says it has not received any reports of any injury or illness related to the recall.

The recall includes tablets of Levothyroxine and Liothyronine with the following dosage: 15 mg, 30 mg, 60 mg, 90 mg, and 120 mg.

The FDA recommends that patients immediately replace their pills with a new bottle. They recommend that patients continue to take the recalled pills until they are replaced, as the medication could be used to treat serious medical conditions.

The above is a copy & paste of a news article that appeared in the last hour.  

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge- Interesting- I thought my last prescription of Armour Thyroid looked “funny” but I continued to take it and I don’t feel any different. 

There sure are a whole bunch of people that take the synthetics though. Hoping no one experiences serious problems.

Honored Contributor

@violann  I have just had mine refilled but didn't notice any difference..I can't take this synthetic stuff

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks - I checked, and mine is a different mfgtr, and my doses are different, but it's nice to be on the look out.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Re: thyroid drug recall

[ Edited ]

This recall doesn't have anything to do with Armour desiccated thyroid preperations made by Forest Laboratories, Inc.

Esteemed Contributor

I take levothyroxine - 50 mcg 4x a week and 75 mcg 3x a week.  The drug company is always Mylan.  The pharmacist makes sure it never changes.  They say pharmacies are very careful with thyroid, anti-seizure and blood thinners, being sure they always come from the same company.  At least, that's what my pharmacist said.

I have been taking it for about 20 years, since I took an iodine pill which killed my thyroid and I haven't had a single side effect.  My doses have never been changed in all these years.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

This recall doesn't have anything to do with Armour desiccated thyroid preperations made by Forest Laboratories, Inc.

?

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

?

Hi @violann.  I wrote that for clarification.

You know what thyroid med you take, and I know what I take. As soon as I saw Westminster I knew this drug recall didn't effect me.

But in a lot of families, there's only the knowledge that so-and-so takes "something" for their thyroid, and even fewer who know what pharmaceutical house manufacturers the thyroid med they take everyday.

I posted this article about the drug recall for those people who don't know exactly what they, or a family member is taking without checking their bottle, or calling the pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge, You’re right! I’m always amazed at comments here and elsewhere referring to “getting off thyroid medicine” when what they’re referring to is thyroid REPLACEMENT.

Thanks, Hedge!

Honored Contributor

I  think I read this hormone was made in China?  I wonder how safe  other things they make might be?