Honored Contributor

this Medicare thing is new to me----

I have been on Medicare since March, so not really intune to it yet, but I got a notice that the RX part of it was going up next year almost $30!! Am paying $31 a  month now  so would be almost $60!! But I got a call from the people I have my Medicare supplement plans with and she told me that they now have a plan that would replace the one I have for just over $21 a month--same coverage except deductable is higher--which is no big deal as I have very few meds I need to take. Was quite surprised by this as I was going to research for  a new one. Is this a normal thing?  Not complainly at all. Just wondering-----

New Contributor

Re: this Medicare thing is new to me----

yes, you should reveiw your PDP (drug) plan each year. These plans change annually.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   Yes, every year my husband has had in increase in both his drug plan and his supplement.  The drug plan jumped to $50.00 last year and the drug he takes, which is expensive,  went to a higher tier drug = more expensive.

My drug plan went down $1.00 ish but the deductible went up, but I do not take any medication at this point so right now that will not be an issue for me.

Honored Contributor

Actually 2 pretty different things to watch. One is that  Medicare costs are related to your income and changes in your income can trigger changes in your costs.  In 2022, I am paying over $30 less for my Part D than I did in 2021.   I expect it to return to the higher amount or more in 2023.  

The other thing is that with many insurance plans you can choose among various plans and yes, it's a yearly task.  It's well worth doing -  you can often find a less expensive plan that fits well with your various medical needs.  Besides, the more you know, the safer you can make yourself!

Honored Contributor

I am always suprised by the number of people who don't realize that Medicare is not free.   

I have a neighbor that had a good job, employer paid 100% of her health insurance, and now that she's retired she's just hopping mad that she has to pay for Medicare.   

I told her to check out the Advantage plans, which are more affordable than traditional Medicare.  

Regular Contributor

Medicare charges are only related to your income if you make too much money and have an IRMAA penalty. If you do not have an IRMAA adjustment then the price  increase applies to everybody with that plan. 

Respected Contributor

Blue Cross Personal Choice 65:  if you are searching their database to find out if your doctors are " In Network, " and can't find them by either individual name or practice name, call the Customer Service # in the booklet that announced the changes to the upcoming year's plan.

I could not find 2 of my doctors; however, whatever other database the CS rep used had them in theirs.  She kept insisting they were in mine.  After I re-explained how many times I had checked by name and by practice, I suggested she pass this on or they would be getting unnecessary calls and hung up.

I had called the office of one of the 2 doctors but they referred me to Customer Service of my plan.

Good Luck !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Josmad --don't know what IRMAA stands for---

Honored Contributor

@wagirl IRMAA = Income Related Monthly Adjusted Amount.

If you make more than a certain amount your Medicare Part B and D are increased.

First column is single, second is married filing jointly.

2022 IRMAA BRACKETS FOR MEDICARE PART B & PART D

$91,000 or less$182,000 or less$170.10
Above $91,000 – $114,000Above $182,000 – $228,000$238.10
Above $114,000 – $142,000Above $228,000 – $284,000$340.20
Above $142,000 – $170,000Above $284,000 – $340,000$442.30
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter ---thanks very much for the info--