Esteemed Contributor

Oh don't mind me. That picture of her you selected for your avatar is just marvelous. 

Her combo of sweetly come-hither softness and hard-edged unforgiving calculating focus is all captured in that shot.

Valued Contributor

I occasionally get inflamed salivary glands. Feels like mumps. I suck on lemon slices as a preventative and that seems to work. Although the citric acid is bad for one's teeth. Lemon drops aren't sour enough, plus they're made of sugar. 

I do recommend seeing your doctor about it, especially if you feel a lump. Could be a form of lymphoma. My doctor ordered an ultrasound to rule out tumors. 

A family member did get an impacted salivary gland that swelled up so badly emergency surgery was done. I think dental decay was blamed. 

Good luck! Hope you're feeling better!

I LOVE your avatar! Always loved the characters Joan Crawford played. 

Super Contributor

The best thing to do is to go to an ENT doc.  It could be many things, and this is the place to be.  By the way, if you are told it is a tumor, don't panic.  There are many types of tumors.  A tumor is an abnormal growth.  

ENT will help you.  Best of luck.  

Honored Contributor

Re: swollen salivary gland

[ Edited ]

I have had this for about 6 months.  I forget the medical term for it.  I first got it while I was eating dinner and I got a huge lump in my neck, right below my jew.  It was so terribly painful that I went to the ER!  They said it was this salivary disease.  Was told to suck on lemon drops, put heat on it, drink a lot of fluids.  Try to avoid chewing on hard or tough foods such as bagels.  I made an appt. with an ENT who told me the same thing.  It waxes and wans.  Some days I forget I have it, other times it flares up.  Best of luck with this as it can be quite painful.  

Forgot to mention --- the ENT also said to massage the area quite frequently throughout the day.  Also, I told my dentist about this the next time I went and he said due to the lemon drop thing and the acid, and this being hard on the enamel, he would prescribe a special toothpaste which is much stronger to protect the teet. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

You may want to see your doctor . Eating pickles or drink pickle juice . This will help as well as sour lemon drops . You do need to see if you have an infection. See your doctor . Also your dentist . If the stone is big you may have to have the dentist remove it . I had that and a bad infection ensued . Very Painful and it was just a small stone . Pickle juoce helped a lot.' cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@twinkies @AngelPuppy1 @janeec @AuntMame @x Hedge  

Just an update since you were all so kind to share your thoughts....

I made an appointment with my dentist for this coming Thursday  to see if this swelling is tooth related first.  I would have gone tomorrow, Wednesday, but,  I am scheduled for a Posterior capsule opacity (PCO)  correction in both eyes after having cataract surgery a year ago and do not want to cancel the appointment.  Takes forever to get in for that!

If this swelling in my left jaw is not tooth related....then I will go see my Doctor to find out if it is something else. 

Usually for me, I get a tooth ache first, and then my face swells up...I know it is a tooth....so I really do not know if it is a tooth as I have no discomfort at this time with my teeth. So that's why I assumed it was a gland swelling for some other reason.

i will let you know what the dentist thinks after seeing him on Thursday.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have had this for about 6 months.  I forget the medical term for it.  I first got it while I was eating dinner and I got a huge lump in my neck, right below my jew.  It was so terribly painful that I went to the ER!  They said it was this salivary disease.  Was told to suck on lemon drops, put heat on it, drink a lot of fluids.  Try to avoid chewing on hard or tough foods such as bagels.  I made an appt. with an ENT who told me the same thing.  It waxes and wans.  Some days I forget I have it, other times it flares up.  Best of luck with this as it can be quite painful.  

Forgot to mention --- the ENT also said to massage the area quite frequently throughout the day.  Also, I told my dentist about this the next time I went and he said due to the lemon drop thing and the acid, and this being hard on the enamel, he would prescribe a special toothpaste which is much stronger to protect the teet. 

My dentist told me the same thing. Was horrified by the thought of sucking on lemon drops or lemon slices. But the last thing I want is a prescription toothpaste and more chemicals in my mouth especially since sucking on something sour seems to do the trick and get my salivary glands going. 

The studies I've found online that have shown that citric acid is hard on tooth enamel entail following patients who are consuming large quantities of citric acid as a dietary supplement. I figure as long as I rinse my mouth and maybe brush my teeth after sucking on lemon or lemon drops I can probably minimize any tooth damage. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. I thought I was the only one suffering from this weird thing and there must be something horrible and weird happening to my body. It's such a comfort to know I'm not the only one. Thank you all! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

My dentist told me the same thing. Was horrified by the thought of sucking on lemon drops or lemon slices. But the last thing I want is a prescription toothpaste and more chemicals in my mouth especially since sucking on something sour seems to do the trick and get my salivary glands going. 

The studies I've found online that have shown that citric acid is hard on tooth enamel entail following patients who are consuming large quantities of citric acid as a dietary supplement. I figure as long as I rinse my mouth and maybe brush my teeth after sucking on lemon or lemon drops I can probably minimize any tooth damage. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. I thought I was the only one suffering from this weird thing and there must be something horrible and weird happening to my body. It's such a comfort to know I'm not the only one. Thank you all! Woman Happy

@AuntMame 

I know what you mean!  I was terrified when it happened to me and I never heard of such a thing either.  I always get the strangest things.  I hope you get it all sorted out.  Best wishes!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

How did your PCO  surgery go? I had that last June and it makes all the difference in the world!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@twinkies @AngelPuppy1 @janeec @AuntMame @x Hedge  

Just an update since you were all so kind to share your thoughts....

I made an appointment with my dentist for this coming Thursday  to see if this swelling is tooth related first.  I would have gone tomorrow, Wednesday, but,  I am scheduled for a Posterior capsule opacity (PCO)  correction in both eyes after having cataract surgery a year ago and do not want to cancel the appointment.  Takes forever to get in for that!

If this swelling in my left jaw is not tooth related....then I will go see my Doctor to find out if it is something else. 

Usually for me, I get a tooth ache first, and then my face swells up...I know it is a tooth....so I really do not know if it is a tooth as I have no discomfort at this time with my teeth. So that's why I assumed it was a gland swelling for some other reason.

i will let you know what the dentist thinks after seeing him on Thursday.

It can often be a salivary "stone", kind of like a tiny kidney stone, formed  and lodged in the salivary  duct...