Honored Contributor

If you deal with this or have dealt with this condition, did it go away on its own?  I read that it does in many cases.

I am assuming this is what I have in my lower jaw.  My teeth do not ache( I know the symptoms of a tooth issue), and I have a sore lump in my lower jaw.  I was reading up on blocked saliva glands and it appears to be common and more so as you get into your sixties. 

(They recommend sucking on sugar free lemon drops but no one carries sugarfree lemon drops locally... only  Amazon, and the sugar alcohols in them really make me sick, so I will pass on those)

SO.....I will drink fresh lemon juice water... I will try using a warm compress  as they suggest and see if the swelling and pain gets less over the next couple of days...

If it does not go away, or get better....I will go see either my dentist or a doctor. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: swollen salivary gland

[ Edited ]

I used hot compresses, did my best to wrap and hold a small heating pad on the area, wore a warm scarf wrapped around my neck & jaw (keep scarf on when you sleep) basically kept the area warmer than normal;

and pushed warm fluids.

Heated lemonade in the m'wave, sipped soup, etc.

Went away on its own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I went to an ENT and got a prescription..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

My DM was visiting here and got this.

At dinner, she was drinking a margarita and boom! A stone was squeezed into her mouth and the pain stopped.

We went to the dentist the very next day and he confirmed that was what happened in her case. 

‘Hoping you are ok💗

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please go straight to the ENT. 

I had a benign tumor in the back of my left Parotid (salivary) gland. It popped out right behind my left ear, by my neck, and was the size of a cotton ball.   When my ENTs performed surgery, it was actually the size of a raquetball inside my face.

I first visited my family doctor, who sent me for a CT scan.  They said it was a swollen lymph node, gave me antibiotics, and told me to return in three months if it was not gone.  It never left, so I went to see my family doctor again.  They refered me to an ENT.  That ENT did another CT scan that day, as he knew it was more than a swollen lymph node.  That radiologist also said it was a swollen lymph node, when the surgeon could clearly see it was a tumor! They then did a biopsy in the ENT office and we went from there.

Hopefully your lump is nothing, but please have it checked out. I am truly not trying to scare anyone, I just wanted to share my story. 

Honored Contributor

@Toms Mom  @LTT1   @Desertdi   @x Hedge    Thanks for sharing your stories...  I will see how I feel by tomorrow and decide what I should do.  My jaw is swollen a bit and I do not want to become a swollen mess.( I tend to swell such issues  more than most people)

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden,

From your description, all I can think of is mumps!   

Best wishes for you to feel better soon!

Contributor

You are so welcome!  

Esteemed Contributor

ok, you're welcome and best of luck to you @SeaMaiden 

...but I always feel like I'm talking to Joan Crawford these days.

Where's the dog with the sunglasses? He didn't weird me out like Joan does. (I think its the hairdo)

joan-27.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

ok, you're welcome and best of luck to you @SeaMaiden 

...but I always feel like I'm talking to Joan Crawford these days.

Where's the dog with the sunglasses? He didn't weird me out like Joan does. (I think its the hairdo)

joan-27.jpg

@x Hedge   I always associated with Joan....sugar and spice....and a bit of puppy dog tails thrown in...a few wire hanger moments😄

I will I'll always be a golden retriever in my heart though....and Joan and I may part ways someday....🙂