Occasional Contributor

Everyday I go to bed very well. But from some day my sleep sudden break. I wake up sudden. I cant sleep anymore. any suggestion please?

Honored Contributor

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Better-sleep-tips-from-Dr-Michael-Breus/m-p/4954846#M145393

I watched a video from a leading sleep expert and posted this a few weeks ago.  I hope it helps!

Esteemed Contributor

You  may need to be checked for sleep apnea. My husband had it and also my son.  They didn't realize they were not breathing and were very tired the next day. A c-pap machine helps. It's probably not that but it's a possibility!

Occasional Contributor

thanks..... @Laura14

Honored Contributor

Re: sudden breaking sleep

[ Edited ]

I read this from   http://www.healthinaging.org/aging-and-health-a-to-z/topic:sleep-problems/info:causes-and-symptoms/

“Sleep Problems
Causes & Symptoms
Sleep disturbances can be caused by many things:
Psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, or stress
Lifestyle habits: such assmoking, caffeine intake, napping and irregular sleeping patterns, or alcohol (although alcohol may cause initial drowsiness, it can interfere with sleep later in the night and can actually worsen insomnia)
Medical conditions such as congestive heart failure or prostate enlargement
Painful conditions, such as arthritis, chronic low back pain, or neuropathy
Sleep-wake cycle disorders
Medication side effects
Chronic use of sedatives, which can cause light, broken sleep patterns
Sleep problems such as sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, periodic limb movement disorder
Neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease , dementia , delirium, Parkinson’s disease
Environment problems such as night-time noise and lights
Night-time trips to the bathroom
Risk Factors
There are some specific risk factors common to older adults that can contribute to sleep problems.
Insomnia:
Older age
Female gender
Having certain medical or psychological conditions or diseases
Recent bereavement
Social isolation
Certain medications
Shortness of breath (from heart or lung problems)
Reflux disease and heartburn
Chronic pain
Having to go to the bathroom repeatedly during the night
Use of alcohol or nicotine
Having poor sleep habits
Sleep apnea:
Obesity
Have a family history of sleep apnea
Have a wide neck (large circumference)
Male gender
Tending to snore loudly
Having enlarged tonsils or other structural problems in your upper airways
Having high blood pressure, heart failure, heart rhythm problems such as atrial fibrillation, or if you have had a stroke
Use alcohol or sedatives (or both) to put yourself to sleep
Restless leg syndrome:
Low iron levels
Injury or diseases of the spinal cord nerves or nerves in the legs
Diabetes
Parkinson’s disease
Certain drugs (SSRI or tricyclic antidepressants, lithium, caffeine)
Retention of blood in your legs (venous insufficiency)
Insomnia in long-term care residents: Older adults in long-term care facilities tend to have conditions or diseases that may be uncomfortable or painful. They often take a variety of medications which may have side effects that disrupt sleep. Depression may also be an issue.
The environment of a residence typically makes the problem worse. Environmental factors that interfere with sleep include:
Inadequate daytime light and exercise
Long periods in bed
Noise in hallways and rooms at night
Disruption of sleep to complete nursing care
Hallway lights that are always turned on
Symptoms and Warning Signs
You may have insomnia or another sleep problem that needs attention from a healthcare provider if you have noticed the following warning signs:
Sleepiness during the day
Trouble falling asleep at night
Waking up too early in the morning
Waking up often at night
Trouble going back to sleep
Not feeling rested and refreshed in the morning
Trouble differentiating between night and day
Having a hard time concentrating
Sleep Apnea
Particular signs and symptoms of sleep apnea include:
Loud snoring, often with choking or pauses in breathing
Very sleepy during the day
High blood pressure
Morning headache
Personality changes such as increased irritability, confusion, memory problems
Urinary incontinence
Restless Legs Syndrome
The following are often signs of restless legs syndrome:
An urgent feeling that you must move your legs
Signs of physical restlessness, such as pacing, rubbing your legs, tossing and turning in bed
Vague discomfort, usually in both calves
Symptoms get worse at night when you lie down to sleep
Discomfort is relieved by walking, stretching, shaking your legs
Periodic Limb Movement Syndrome
In this syndrome, your leg makes regular movements in which muscles contract tightly causing your big toe to extend, and ankles and knees to bend. Sometimes your hip may also move. These repetitive slow motion spasms occur over and over and last for between 10 to 30 seconds. You may partially wake up, but will probably not be aware of the movements, although your legs may be tired in the morning. Sometimes another body part can move in addition or instead of the legs.”

I also read this. https://www.byrdie.com/how-to-stop-waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night

and this.  https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/improving-sleep-quality-what-interrupted-sleep

Honored Contributor

I thought I’d covered reading pretty much everything about middle of the night sleep disturbance, but fortunately you posters have proven me wrong.

My situation is similar to yours @maria001. I sleep soundly, wake up at 2 or 3 am, then worry until I get up or sometimes, worry for an hour and go back to sleep.

The long list of sleep disrupters is the most comprehensive I’ve seen so far. 

Thank you all!

Honored Contributor

@maria001

What you describe has been my sleep pattern most of my adult life. I have had 6 Sleep Studies(not for that particular reason) and they all were the same sleep pattern: Wake up-Go back to sleep. I worked every shift hours known to woman/man, including Graveyard Shift(Midnight-8:00am). Sleep during the day hours/none at night. I have never needed more than 4-5 hours, so that probably made/makes it easier for me.

Never believed in taking any sleep aids to sleep or No Doze, to keep me awake. Do some research on online, and if it really bothers your daily activities, you should see your doctor about it.

If you don't do regular exercise, start. If you do exercise, do it more often/increase intensity, have longer sessions or all of the above.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)