Respected Contributor

Re: stomach acid issues- thoughts please....

Had similar issue - mine stopped when I stopped drinking coffee.  Too much acid for my system. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@lynbeechwood wrote:

to go back to ent doc sooner or try to schedule a gastroenterologist appt for an endoscopy. I am getting increasingly anxious about why I cant feel better.

I think you should get an Endoscopy scheduled, either by the ENT or your PCP. Very simple procedure with virtually no prep, and also is painless, unless you have a problem with a needle.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn--where does the needle go? 

Trusted Contributor

I agree with letting your doctor know about the side effects. My son takes nexium every day. One day he ran out and had heard drinking pickle juice helps. He tried it and it worked---no chemicals so no side effects.

Honored Contributor

I have tried a few things and found generic Zantac to work best for me.   Walmart has very good prices on all the generics.

These things can sneak up on you .... while I had been experiencing "heartburn" and not giving it much more thought than that, my DENTIST first  diagnosed me because he saw the stomach acid had done some erosion to my teeth!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

l

I think you should get an Endoscopy scheduled, either by the ENT or your PCP. Very simple procedure with virtually no prep, and also is painless, unless you have a problem with a needle.

hckynut(john)

It's an IV and all the many I have had, have been in my arm. I have seen some put in the hand.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

l

hckynut(john)

It's an IV and all the many I have had, have been in my arm. I have seen some put in the hand.

hckynut(john)

Oh--gotcha!  I thought they gave you a shot in the neck or something!

My oldest sister has Celiac and I believe the only way they could detect it was w/an endoscopy. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Go to a gastroenterologist.  I just went through a bunch of test in December because I was having major issues. 

I was scheduled for an endoscopy, which is nothing.  

What you have could be a number of different things and you need a doctor to tell you, not posters on a BB.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:

So back in september Istarted having a change in my voice-where it sounded as if it was changing octaves while I was speaking. It happened occasionally.

In December I went to an ear nose and throat doctor and he looked in my throat and saw that my layrynx was swollen-- he thought from stomach acid moving up my throat vs. Where it should  stay in my stomach . So he prescribed omeprazole. And said to come back in 3 months.

Since december I have had various unpleasant side effects like more nausea- more acidy stomach feel- not knowing what to eat or not.

I have tried omeprazole-nexium 24 (up to two perday per doctor) and now generic nexium.

Have any of you had this health issue? I dont know wether to go back to ent doc sooner or try to schedule a gastroenterologist appt for an endoscopy.

I am getting increasingly anxious about why I cant feel better.

@lynbeechwood

See bolded language above.

The reason you're getting "increasingly anxious" about this is that you haven't had a proper diagnosis or treatment from a Gastroenterologist. 

Though well intended, an ENT doc should already have referred you to a gastroenterologist, based on your further in-put.  Remember: physicians cannot read minds.  You must created a dialog with him/her (ENT).

This is a no-brainer.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your input. Its my 3rd day on the new stomach acid reducer I am using and my stomach is not feeling bad today. I made an appt on Monday with my primary care doc and I am going to request a referral to a gastroenterologist- I want to make sure that I am getting the proper diagnosis. I am scared that I have wasted time not going straight to gastro but first I went to primary-then as a second opinion I went to ent who did the scope- -but I guess all I can do is take the next step.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:

Thank you all for your input. Its my 3rd day on the new stomach acid reducer I am using and my stomach is not feeling bad today. I made an appt on Monday with my primary care doc and I am going to request a referral to a gastroenterologist- I want to make sure that I am getting the proper diagnosis. I am scared that I have wasted time not going straight to gastro but first I went to primary-then as a second opinion I went to ent who did the scope- -but I guess all I can do is take the next step.

You have made the right move and be sure to ask your PCP  his/her view on an Endoscopy. I have lost count of how many Endo's I have had to this date. Had one last October and I have to get them annually now.

Let everyone here know how things are working out for you.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)