Regular Contributor

stomach acid issues- thoughts please....

So back in september Istarted having a change in my voice-where it sounded as if it was changing octaves while I was speaking. It happened occasionally.

In December I went to an ear nose and throat doctor and he looked in my throat and saw that my layrynx was swollen-- he thought from stomach acid moving up my throat vs. Where it should  stay in my stomach . So he prescribed omeprazole. And said to come back in 3 months.

Since december I have had various unpleasant side effects like more nausea- more acidy stomach feel- not knowing what to eat or not.

I have tried omeprazole-nexium 24 (up to two perday per doctor) and now generic nexium.

Have any of you had this health issue? I dont know wether to go back to ent doc sooner or try to schedule a gastroenterologist appt for an endoscopy.

I am getting increasingly anxious about why I cant feel better.

Respected Contributor

Re: stomach acid issues- thoughts please....

I haven't had this happen to me but if it were me I would schedule the endoscopy to hopefully get to the root of the problem. 

Honored Contributor

You should notify the doctor about your side effects.

Get a 2ND OPINION!!!!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

You need to see a gastroenterologist and have a scope done. I've had more than one and there is no pain involved. A stomach doctor is better qualified to help you with medications and diet. Sometimes it takes time to get these type of issues resolved. Try not to anxious and stay positive. Easier said than done I know. But don't hesitate to make an appointment so you can start feeling better and have some peace of mind. HTH and good luck!

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's called GERD, and it runs in my family, four generations that we know of.

I am very well versed in this problem and have some tips for you.  GERD can get serious and you need to act on the problem.  I take Omeprazole, also.

JUST AS IMPORTANT:

Do not lay down in bed until at least three hours after you have eaten.  Stay upright, that way the stomach acid doesn't flow up into your throat.

Cut out acidic and/or spicy foods.  That includes peppers and most Mexican and Indian food.  This is a must.

If you smoke, STOP, it also damages your throat.

Don't drink coffee until you have healed somewhat. 

If you are overweight, even the loss of 30 pounds will help.  The weight puts pressure on your stomach which forces the acid up.

No alcohol.  You can try a little later, again once you get a handle on the problem.

There are more tips I'm sure I am not remembering at the moment, but there is a lot of information online.

Again, GERD is very serious, I hope you are able to make the changes, they aren't easy but life will be better for you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I had swollen vocal cords back in the day and couldn't speak right either.  But mine was due to allergies not stomach acid.  They put me on steroids very briefly but there was really nothing to do other than control the allergy the way you normally would.

I have had what was probabIy ulcers from time to time back in the day and I will tell you I did better not eating or eating very little since eating made my stomach hurt worse and gave me all kinds of issues.  I ate very bland foods and absolutely nothing several hours before bedtime.  They also tell you to prop your head while sleeping so the acid doesn't roll up.  I took the same OTC medicine as you and I will tell you it took several weeks but I eventually did get rid of it.  It's horrible!   

Obviously check with your doctor but you may want to try allergy medicine just to see if maybe it's not stomach acid and instead it's nasal drip like mine was.  It may be coming from the other end which is why the acid medicine isn't helping.  I hope you find the cause soon and feel better!  Heart        

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your LES valve is leaking.  Many things like the list above are the usual culperates that make this worse.  Chocolate, citrus, onions and tomatoes are mine.  Medication can also cause the valve not to stay closed.  Sleeping on your left side can help .  Look at how your insides are built, right side and a leaky LES valve are a problem.   If you stay off the offending foods things can go back to normal.  Mine have.

Hope This article helps.

For the thousands of people who experience heartburn on a daily basis without any relief, its time to try a natural remedy for acid reflux. Heartburn symptoms include pain in the chest, burning in the throat, difficulty swallowing, and in chronic cases a persistent cough, hoarseness, and sore throat. Acid reflux disease is a condition where acid and partially digested food flows back up from the stomach into the esophagus, causing symptoms of heartburn. Treatment for heartburn and acid reflux include over the counter products and prescription drugs that block the excretion of stomach acid therefore effectively reducing the amount of acid within the stomach. However, stomach acid is needed to properly digest food. By suppressing the amount of stomach acid produced you are only eliminating the possible symptoms of acid reflux but not curing the underlying problem that causes heartburn.
What causes heartburn? There are several causes of acid reflux, including foods we eat and medications we take, but the most prevalent cause stems from a weakened lower esophageal sphincter (LES). The LES opens to allow food from the esophagus into the stomach and normally closes once it’s passed through. If the valve is weak, food and stomach acid can rise back up through the LES and burn the lining of your esophagus causing symptoms for acid reflux.
Heartburn relief can be achieved through a natural cure for acid reflux. To cure acid reflux you must fix the problem by strengthening the lower esophageal sphincter. Unless the LES is weak because a genetic defect or damaged in some way, which would require surgery, home remedies for heartburn, will strengthen the LES and cure your acid reflux. Heartburn home remedies treat acid reflux without side effects from drugs, or invasive procedures.
Foods, overeating, drugs, medications, and physical activates can weaken the LES, overtime causing heartburn. Foods that cause acid reflux include coffee, peppermint, spearmint, sugar, chocolate, onions, caffeinated beverages, soda, butter, mayonnaise, whole milk, and fried or greasy foods. Avoid acid reflux foods as much as possible. In addition, foods that are known to create allergic reactions should be eliminated from an acid reflux diet; this includes cow’s milk, wheat, white flour and dairy products. These foods when eaten relax the LES making it easier for food and stomach acid to flow back into the esophagus. The more you eat these foods the weaker the LES will get and the more often you will experience acid reflux. To strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter, choose the right diet for acid reflux and avoid acid reflux causing foods altogether. Foods that are good for an acid reflux diet include protein, poultry, chicken or seafood, fiber, couscous, greens, celery, fennel, parsley, ginger, papaya, pineapple, bananas, and melon.
Overeating can also weaken the LES. When large amounts of food are in the stomach, it increases the stomach gas pressure. When the pressure builds up it forces the LES valve open. Avoid overeating or leaving large amounts of food in your stomach. By eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of eating 3 large meals you put less pressure on the LES. The lower esophageal sphincter stays strong so that it will stay closed ultimately curing heartburn.
Certain prescription drugs and medications can also weaken the LES. When taken they relax the muscles around the LES valve allowing, it to open when it should normally be closed. Although it’s not advised to stop taking any medications without consulting your doctor, look into natural or alternative remedies, which can lessen the use of these drugs. The drugs, which weaken the LES, include NSAID’s, bronchodilators, channel blockers, beta-blockers, anti anxiety drugs, and nitroglycerine. The sooner you remove these drugs from your system, the sooner your LES can repair and become strong again.
Specific physical activities also have been known to weaken the LES. To strengthen the LES watch your movements to get relief for your acid reflux. Bending at the waist, lifting heavy objects, straining during bowel movements, and coughing increase the pressure within the stomach. Anytime there is increased stomach pressure it can cause the LES valve to open. Also, lying down after eating increases the likelihood of food flowing back into the esophagus putting pressure on the LES to open. Avoid eating right before bedtime; rather eat dinner 3 hours before bed.
Home remedies for acid reflux correct problems, which weaken the LES. By resolving these problems, you reduce the pressure on the LES valve, keeping it strong to cure acid reflux. Applying one or all of these remedies for acid reflux will greatly reduce the frequency of your symptoms

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sleeping on your left side can help .  Look at how your insides are built, right side and a leaky LES valve are a problem.   If you stay off the offending foods things can go back to normal.  Mine have.

sfgssdfs.jpg

Highlighted
Contributor

Try a different medication.  Nexium may not work for you but perhaps Prevacid or prilosec will.  I can take Prevacid but Nexium not only doesn't work, it has unpleasant side effects for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@lynbeechwood wrote:

to go back to ent doc sooner or try to schedule a gastroenterologist appt for an endoscopy. I am getting increasingly anxious about why I cant feel better.

I think you should get an Endoscopy scheduled, either by the ENT or your PCP. Very simple procedure with virtually no prep, and also is painless, unless you have a problem with a needle.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)