Respected Contributor

its finally the day maria is getting her stent taken out after 2 weeks of alot of pain. and next she may need to have another surgery to remove what ever stones still stuck in kidney. this time its a more ivasive surgery going into her back and like 2 days in hopspital. has anyone had this done?

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1, I haven't had this done, or anyone else I know of, but we will definitely keep her and you in our thoughts and prayers.  She's physically going through a lot!! 

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1wrote:

its finally the day maria is getting her stent taken out after 2 weeks of alot of pain. and next she may need to have another surgery to remove what ever stones still stuck in kidney. this time its a more ivasive surgery going into her back and like 2 days in hopspital. has anyone had this done?

@Pooky1 . As a matter of fact my husband had a bladder stone and a stent put in yesterday to remove a kidney stone.  When I met with the doctor he said that the kidney stone was large and there was too much inflammation to attempt to remove the stone. I wasn't expecting that and I had assumed that they would have gotten the kidney stone too.

While my husband is uncomfortable, he's not in a lot of pain.  I'm sorry to hear that Maria is.

So he came home yesterday (was an outpatient procedure) with the stent and we're supposed to call the doctor today and make an appointment for Monday to discuss options.  

Let us know what what procedure Maria ends up having and best of luck to her!

Trusted Contributor

I had the Laser treatment,stent for 2 weeks,after the stent was removed,several bigger stones passed, was uncomfortable but bearable. No problems since in September. 

Honored Contributor

I thought that now a days they use sound waves to break up kidney stones. I have been retired too long to know what they do anymore I guess, but a friend told me about a year ago that was how he got rid of his.

Honored Contributor

Re: stent for kidney stones

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1

DD had a stent put in for kidney stones last spring.

The doctor did not even give her the option of using ultrasound.

I’m guessing that from the image (x ray or CT) hers were too large...the “pieces” would have required surgery to remove if they got caught. 

Her procedure went quickly and it resolved her tremendous pain.

not sure my comment is applicable here —-sorry. 

Good luck for Maria, too. Having a surgery might be the only appropriate method at this time if that is what the MD suggests.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Pooky1wrote:

Hi @Pooky1,

I've read about it, but I've never had it done myself.

I've just had the Ureteroscopies done, where the stent is placed while in the ureter after the stones are removed/broken up, while you're under general anesthesia.

I'm sorry that your wife has to go through this, as I know that it's very uncomfortable. 

Please know that you're both in my thoughts and prayers during this most stressful time. Heart

Respected Contributor

she has had the laser treatment 3 times but still cant get everything so in a couple weeks she is having the surgery where the make a small cut in her back and that requires 2 day stay in hospital and a stent for only a week. thanks to everyone for your imput and concern. we apprciate it.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1

My brother has a long history of huge kidney stones, and lost a kidney to cancer a few years ago.   All of his invasive procedures have been laparoscopic with robot assist.   His last procedure was in January, and he was released 48 hours afterwards.   

Best wishes to Maria with her upcoming procedure.   

Respected Contributor

I had kidney stones a long time ago. Back then you just waited until you passed them. I was in the hospital. Extremely painful. The doctor said I needed a vacation in Hawaii. That of course didn’t happen. I just looked at him with tears in my eyes. So much for bedside manners. It was a one time thing for me. Will say prayers for her.