Trusted Contributor

I usually feel unwell due to the infection itself, where I will get a sinus headache from it until the infection starts to clear up.

I am sure that you know that if you continue to feel unwell, that you should contact your doctor.

Super Contributor

DH used to get these a lot. He would get the steroid pack and a regular antibiotic. (sorryI don't know about the Z pack)

Have you considered using a neti pot? DH uses it at the first sign of sinus unhappiness now, and he rarely has to go to the doc. There is a travel model available which is plastic. Nice to keep in the bathroom. - Bird

Honored Contributor

My DH usually does well with a Z pack, but his last time was so severe it did not work, he had to go on Augmentin.

Trusted Contributor

This won't help you now, but look into using a Neti pot. I used to get sinus infections all the time until I started using mine. Haven't had an infection now in 2 years.

Trusted Contributor

I had chronic sinus infections every winter(sometimes year round); extended for weeks, ear infection in both ears, etc. No antibiotics really helped, had to ride it out. Some antibiotics didn't agree with me, milder ones like z-pack didn't do a thing. The night time Allegra they prescribed made me too drowsy, so I couldn't take it on week days. The daytime Allegra worked but still took long.

I came upon an article that mentioned the only way to prevent sinus infections was to not catch a cold. Tall order for most of us with school going kids. My mother gave me a simple tip, take warm water with lemon every morning. I also am regular with my daily vitamin & an orange a day. I don't add lemon to my water any more but still drink only warm water year round. No more sinus infections(touch wood!). Do not expect an overnight miracle, home remedies take time. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor
On 2/6/2015 VaBelle35 said:

My doctor (ENT) always tells me that if I am not feeling better in a few days to call him and he will prescribe something else. Sometimes, the antibiotic they give you doens't work on the particular bacteria you have.

For me, if it doesn't go away with the second type, I go in for a culture and a CT scan and then get steroids + antibiotics.

I would call your doctor and try to get a message to him through his service to see if he can give you a different prescription.

I hope you get better soon.

This. It's also possible that you now have a viral cold on top of the sinus infection, which can happen. Antibiotics won't help with that.

I get sinus infections at least twice a year, either because my allergies get so bad they trigger one or as the result of any cold I get becoming a sinus infection. The Z-pack is standard treatment for me and how soon after starting the pack I start to feel better is not consistent because I may or may not also have chest congestion and bronchial infection and/or steroids along with the Z-pack.

Valued Contributor

Many sinus infections are viral and not bacterial, so the antibiotics would do nothing to help. My doctor will take a swab and culture prior to prescribing so you are not receiving something you do not need. A sinus infection can take three weeks to run it's course and OTC items can help you cope. Of course, if you're running a fever, get checked out soon! Feel better!

Contributor

There are several strains between sinus infections, strep, etc that have been resistant to ZPacks this year. 2 in my family has to go back to the old 10 day course.

Valued Contributor

I am reading this post and I am shaking my head about the amount of Antibiotics that are being given out. I suffer from Sinus problems. I've had a Headache and congestion more times than I can count. I rarely have a fever with any of it. I can't take decongestants because they make my heart race and I get jittery...I take advil for the headache and I use liquid Vicks in boiling water and put a towel over my head and inhale it. Granted it takes time to go away..BUT..come on..most times you don't need a Doctor & a Prescription...let your body do the work..I am positive that many people run to a doctor for every thing and the Doctor's feel they have to give you something..Too many Antibiotics are NO GOOD..We become IMMUNE to them and someday when you REALLY NEED THEM..you will be out of luck!

Respected Contributor

I seem prone to sinus infections and I have discovered the Z Pack doesn't work for me. I now am prescribed an alternative med and have had better luck. Sorry to hear you are not well - that is unpleasant. Hope you see some improvement soon.