Respected Contributor

I used to get sinus infections all the time (really bad ones) since I was a teen, until a friend told me about sinus irrigation with salt water. That was almost 20 years ago, and I still irrigate at least twice a day. Cleans everything out of there, and I don't get the infections anymore. I don't know how I could live without doing this.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Azithromycin is good stuff with little to no side affects and if it was a bacterial infection you should be feeling pretty good by the third day. I am thinking it is viral not bacterial thus taking antibiotics is a waste. Try mucinex the extended release. it works best if you take it at the beginning of feeling sick and not waiting till your full blown sick but it should help. it will loosen the mucus in your sinuses so it flows out faster. Also i would "rotate" different decongestants with different active ingredients. your body gets adapted fast to decongestants so usually after 1 day they do not work well. Usually for a day I use advil cold and sinus then the next day a nasal spray and then the third day the advil cold and sinus that you have to get from the pharmacy( different active ingredient) I hope you feel better

Also use a saline nasal spray it helps

I feel your pain. I had a sinus infection that took 2 1/2 months to knock out. The second round of antibiotics they gave me levaquin. For the love of god NEVER let your doctor prescribe this. .When I started taking it I developed extreme anxiety and panic attacke, night terrors every night and I became extremely anemic. I did a search on Levaquin and found all these are rare side affects of the drug. As soon as i went off it my anemia went away and so did my night terrors and panic attacks

Contributor

I went back to the Dr. today. I now have influenza and now have congestion from that. Thanks for all your advice.

Contributor

Kcladyz, I am so sorry for your experience. Painic attacks are the worst. Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

OMG, I had a bad experience with Levaquin too! I started to get sore joints right away, then saw that was a possible side effect. and that you could actually tear a tendon and have permanent damage because of it! I already have issues with rotator cuffs.......scared me to death and I stopped it right away. I couldn't believe my doctor would prescribe this stuff. That was many years ago, don't even remember the doctor or what it was for.......just the name of the drug!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor
This doesn't help bookss since she has the flu, but for sinus infections, don't forget about your ears. I had a chronic infection for months and nothing was working. My husband finally said you need to clean out your ears. Sure enough, I used the ear drops and irrigated them and my sinuses finally started draining and it finally cleared up. I try to remember that now when my sinuses start getting clogged up.
Super Contributor

I got an antibiotic for my sinus infection and it gave me severe diarrhea. I was on vacation in Florida and was in Epcot when it hit. Wow, that was terrible. I stopped the med and we came home. My family doc gave me another antibiotic which I took, and I feel better now.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/9/2015 Alexa6352 said:

I am reading this post and I am shaking my head about the amount of Antibiotics that are being given out. I suffer from Sinus problems. I've had a Headache and congestion more times than I can count. I rarely have a fever with any of it. I can't take decongestants because they make my heart race and I get jittery...I take advil for the headache and I use liquid Vicks in boiling water and put a towel over my head and inhale it. Granted it takes time to go away..BUT..come on..most times you don't need a Doctor & a Prescription...let your body do the work..I am positive that many people run to a doctor for every thing and the Doctor's feel they have to give you something..Too many Antibiotics are NO GOOD..We become IMMUNE to them and someday when you REALLY NEED THEM..you will be out of luck!

Really? "Most times you don't need a doctor and a prescription."

Well, if I took your advice, I would have ended up in the ER probably, unable to breathe.

I hate to think what would have happened to me...

Some of us have asthma, if you are reading this thread, and we actually do know what we need to do.

It would be irresponsible of us, if we didn't take care of ourselves, and follow the care and advice of our doctors.

I have had bacterial infections like bronchitis and pneumonia, where I did need antibiotics and steroids and inhalers to get better, or else I would have been hospitalized.

Valued Contributor
On 2/9/2015 northernlights said:
On 2/9/2015 Alexa6352 said:

I am reading this post and I am shaking my head about the amount of Antibiotics that are being given out. I suffer from Sinus problems. I've had a Headache and congestion more times than I can count. I rarely have a fever with any of it. I can't take decongestants because they make my heart race and I get jittery...I take advil for the headache and I use liquid Vicks in boiling water and put a towel over my head and inhale it. Granted it takes time to go away..BUT..come on..most times you don't need a Doctor & a Prescription...let your body do the work..I am positive that many people run to a doctor for every thing and the Doctor's feel they have to give you something..Too many Antibiotics are NO GOOD..We become IMMUNE to them and someday when you REALLY NEED THEM..you will be out of luck!

Really? "Most times you don't need a doctor and a prescription."

Well, if I took your advice, I would have ended up in the ER probably, unable to breathe.

I hate to think what would have happened to me...

Some of us have asthma, if you are reading this thread, and we actually do know what we need to do.

It would be irresponsible of us, if we didn't take care of ourselves, and follow the care and advice of our doctors.

I have had bacterial infections like bronchitis and pneumonia, where I did need antibiotics and steroids and inhalers to get better, or else I would have been hospitalized.

I said most times,of course there are times when you need help..BUT...you can't deny the OVER PRESCRIBING of ANTIBIOTICS that goes on in today's medicine...