Valued Contributor

Re: replacing full mouth porcelain veneers..

I have full porcelain crowns on all my teeth. They look perfect from every angle. They are not too big, a better shape for my face than my reals, and a realistic color for my age- no chiclets. It all depends on the precision of your dentist, the assistant, and the quality of the lab. Look at other mouths the dentist has done and be specific about your preferences. My teeth were done 6 years ago after wearing braces for 2 years to get ready. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

I would have to think long and hard about spending $40,000 to replace the original work and I wouldn't do so unless there was no way to repair the originals and it was absolutely necessary.

Honored Contributor

I used to have a space between my 2 front teeth. At age about 35 I got veneers to fill that gap. They are still perfect, never have needed changed. Why do you think you will need new veneers?I have a couple times needed them filed to smooth them but no one ever said anything about replacing them.I've had them now about 33 years.

Honored Contributor

I would not be able to bring myself to spend $40,000 to fix my teeth.   Save my eyesight, fix my heart or other organs, or replace a joint, yes, but I would definitely find a cheaper option for my teeth.    Just the way I am.

Valued Contributor

My dentist and I worked together to decide what would be best for my straight, nice bite teeth, just slightly off white., previously bonded.    Veneers grind off most of the tooth.  We decide to bond, much better materials than in past.  Even redoing  past few months, after 15 years, look great!  Veneers do not last forever either and price was about 35,000 15 years ago, wth significant tooth loss.  While I was willing to spend the $$$ I'm quite happy with what I didn't have yo spend!  Each person needs to decide on their specific issue.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps you should call someone at Tufts dental school in Boston and Talk to one of the professers who has extensive knowledge about these things , If they cannot help you then maybe they can refer you to someone who can , I am sure your not the only one with this problem , I think Tufts in in medford ,ma or Boston , Get several opinions ,

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

Better yet call the University  of California ,which is ranked number one dental school in America and ask to get an opinion from some one of the professors at the dental , school , I am sure they would be happy to elp you, Hey its worth a try ![near Los Angeles]

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I would not be able to bring myself to spend $40,000 to fix my teeth.   Save my eyesight, fix my heart or other organs, or replace a joint, yes, but I would definitely find a cheaper option for my teeth.    Just the way I am.

If I'd had it to spend, I would have in a heartbeat. But relatively few have it vs mortgage, rent, transportation, utilities, their children, etc.

Although some procedures done by some dentists in some people's mouths last a great deal longer than expected or anticipated, IMO that's a gamble. Dentists and the dental materials companies give averages/statistics for a reason. Any given person may beat the odds, but most won't on a majority basis.

While a person may have the $$ to do these procedures in their 30s, 40s, 50s or possibly even their 60s, they may very well not have that same amount of disposable/discretionary income in their 70s or 80s, and/or their health (either mental or physical) might not be conducive to a re-do either. If it were me I'd think about the age I was when I had it done or was planning to have it done and think about the future 15-20-25 years down the road, and how I would financially handle a re-do or major repair.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all