Esteemed Contributor

Re: really bad stomach ache every 3 or 4 months

[ Edited ]

An upper GI endoscopy can detect ulcers. Up to 90% are caused by the h pylori bacterium and can be cured with certain antibiotics. A few ulcers are caused by meds like NSAIDS, e.g., that for some can bring on ulcers. Prilosec does not cure ulcers caused by bacteria although they can alleviate symptoms to some extent.

I know it's a gross subject, but have you had any stool samples done to see if there are any bacteria causing your symptoms? Sometimes certain blood tests can provide information as well. Ultrasounds, MRIs, and abdominal CT scans are also used at times to isolate the problem area. I think you need to talk to your doctor about truly getting to the bottom of your symptoms. He apparently has not made a diagnosis yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Did you have the colonoscopy as a "routine procedure;" e.g. "time to have one."

Or, did you doc actually order that test for your STOMACH issue?

I'd advise seeking an evaluation of a new Gastroenterologist.  Your stomach, duodenum and upper ileum need to be scoped by way of your mouth.

I wouldn't sit on this.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  I had the colonoscopy because it was time to have one (poylups) & I had some other symptoms. 

I had not had a stomach ache for 4 or more months and I never brought it up.

It's weird, the pain travels. Makes think constipation of some sort.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@sfnative  I had the colonoscopy because it was time to have one (poylups) & I had some other symptoms. 

I had not had a stomach ache for 4 or more months and I never brought it up.

It's weird, the pain travels. Makes think constipation of some sort.

@Mary Bailey

If someone indicates they have "really bad stomach ache," regardless of frequenty, I'd be inclined to post the answer I did.  

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey, not to alarm you, and it's just a suggestion. Can they check the health of your ovaries? Some of what you said, shot up some flags in my mind. I'm no doctor, so please check with yours on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Did you know the pain travels with a diverticulitis attack?  Just wanted to let you know in case that is the problem.

Super Contributor

Many years ago I lost alot of weight.

I wrote a daily JOURNAL

What I ate

What size

What time

You have to be HONEST in this

Good luck

It also told me what food allergies I have, and what was making me feel YUCKY

When I quit the JOURNAL, the weight came right back !!!!

(Mom died) I ate my feeling, and I KNEW what I was doing :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a doctor appt Tues Feb 16 after work 5:30pm

Thanks to all for all of the comments and concerns!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I would go back to the doctor for additional testing. That reminds me of the time I found out I had gallstones.

You might want to keep a food journal to help you link the foods you are eating to your episodes, as well. That will be a great tool to show the doctor.

For me, I had several episodes of extreme stomach pain and vomiting and they tested me for an ulcer, which I was pretty sure wasn't the issue. When the test came back negative, I went back to the doctor and the second time I told the nurse I was burping more than usual. I don't even know what made me tell her that. She said, "Oh, it's probably your gall bladder." The doctor came in, I repeated what I had told the nurse, and she said the same thing. And they were right.

So now I know, report everything to the doctor, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal.

My gallstones presented the same as yours.  The surgery was simple for me and I had no side effects from losing my gallbladder.

OP, I see you had yours removed:/

Trusted Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@ID2  Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they would have seen an ulcer with the colonoscopy.

Not if it is in the stomach.