Esteemed Contributor

"sfnative" Update on Sciatic Pain Issue

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone who provided prayers and kind thoughts on my original thread; and, those who most recently asked for an update.  I've had to remain off of my laptop, as it increases pain literally by the minute.

Though I have yet to see my new neurosurgeon, his nurse practitioner was available, so was evaluated by her a week ago yesterday.  Then, yesterday had a lumbar MRI.  Will see the neurosurgeon on 23 SEP - darn - so far out!

In the meantime, the pain is getting worse and I'm sleeping worse.  Am also unable to tolerate more then 10 minutes in a car and can no longer drive.

On Wednesday the 28th, had a dreadful set-back, which may bring tears of laughter to some of you.  It was mid-morning and I was in my "electric" recliner positioned as far back as it would go, as this is the most comfortable position for me.  Then all of a sudden - the power goes off - and I am stuck in that freaking chair.  At the 2 hour point, it is a must for me to exit the chair to make a bathroom trip, so I ask my husband to get behind the chair and tip it forward, so I can sort of gently slid forward - "gently" being the operative word.  Well, I became stuck, as it were, on the foot rest of the chair, which hurt like heck, so remained there about 2 minutes in great pain while I gave the situation some thought. 

This was NOT good, as subsequent to my botched left knee replacement, I've developed more than moderate effusion (water on the knee) in my left knee, so it does not bend at all well and no knee doc will touch me.  Then I have CRPS in both hands, meaning I'm unable to place either hand flat on the floor.

What to do, what to do.

I tried of couple of maneuvers, with my husband making things worse and making my sciatic pain worse.  After about 15 minutes of this craziness, I looked over at the 2 square, low profile coffee tables we have and told him, "Drag one of those over here, please.  That's just what I need to drag myself up into a standing position."  Sure enough it worked and am so glad I didn't get rid of them the 10 times I wanted to bring in a replacement.  But, man, did that experience jack up my pain and just wreck my back more than ever.  Come to find out the power people were replacing a transformer, thank you, and it took nearly 5 hours!

Then yesterday upon arrival for my MRI, I was dreading walking up to the Siemens MRI machine, as nearly all institutions these days have Siemens, but those darn things have a rather high sliding table and the 5" steel edge on each side hurts like the devil when mounting and dismounting.  I knew beforehand that this was going to be a killer.  So, in I walk, only to behold a General Electric MRI (these have reps not as good as Siemens); however, this puppy had a sliding table that was at least 8-10 inches LOWER than the Siemens, with only 3" steel edges on each side.  AND, the "step-ups' they have were the tall ones, not the 8 inchers.  So, all of those pieces could not have been any better.  Plus, I started up a conversation with the MRI tech, only to discover he was former Navy and had been stationed at the same command where my surgical training occurred.  We had great chat, prior to going into the tube.

Since I had with and without contrast, the MRI took FOREVER - just short of 90 minutes and I wanted nothing better than off of that table!  When the table slid out, what I beheld was a number of Radiology folks waiting to help me down off of the MRI sliding table.  I don't know what the MRI former Navy tech told the Radiologist, but I was ever so grateful for all of the help!!!

Right now I'm sleeping 2-4 hours a night and during the day can do nothing but take a shower and wash my hair.  I am able to fix my own breakfast and lunch, but preparing dinner is beyond me at this point.

So looking forward to September 23rd when I see my neurosurgeon for the first time.  And, continue to thank each and every one of you for your prayers, thoughts and kindness.

God Bless ~ Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: "sfnative" Update on Sciatic Pain Issue

@sfnative.  Rebevca, If you ever get in a situation again where you're stuck, don't hesitate to call 911 and ask for some help from fire and rescue.  That's a lot of what they do. 

My friend fell one day and couldn't get up and asked. that I come and help her.  I was there in 3 minutes.  I couldn't get her up, I have back issues too and can't do much lifting.  I told her I was going to call for help and did.  I explained to the dispatcher that no one was injured and we didn't need sirens and whistles.  The two paramedics who came were wonderful with her and had her up and on her scooter in no time. 

I have one artificial knee and back problems but I occasionally get on the floor and practice getting up just so I know I can do it.  I just need something to steady myself with as my balance is poor.

I'm so sorry you have to endure the pain you're  suffering and hope your medicos can find a way to alleviate it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Hang in there better times are coming..I haven't forgotten my promise

Trusted Contributor

So sorry you are having to endure all this pain. I understand the frustration of not being able to get up. I came in my laundryroom about 6 months ago with a coffee in one hand and my purse in the other, tripped and fell face first (knees first actually) on concrete as my flooring had been pulled up. I could not get up since my knees were really hurt and there was nothing to pull myself up with. Thank goodness for my cell phone and friends who lived nearby. That was a reality check. You are in my prayers and I hope your next appointment brings you some positive news.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sfnative I think it is INCREDIBLE of you to share a “funny”/AWFUL story about yourself that SO CLEARLY ILLUSTRATES what it’s like to live day to day.

You are moving through a journey, heading toward finding relief, AND YOU WILL find the solution, even if the road to it seems tangled and it’s difficult for you to see the end. Between your sense of humor and your drive to find the solution, YOU WILL FIND IT.

Hoping the neurosurgeon has the brains of Einstein, the skill of the finest, and looks just a bit like Cary Grant (or someone more contemporary, your choice).

Keep the Faith!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the update. Omg, you poor thing! It’s awful to be in such pain... Hoping you can hang in there and stay strong-  💝

Esteemed Contributor

Your story of being caught in the chair, I’m sorry but it made me laugh. All I could think of is this would be a great storyline for a sitcom. Take care @sfnative   ❤️🙏

Honored Contributor

@sfnative I am sorry you are still in such pain.  Nothing I can say will make any difference but there are many that are praying for you...hang on,the  best you can.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative Prayers for you

Esteemed Contributor

You poor girl!  I can’t begin to imagine the pain you are going through.  And the chair fiasco, to boot.  You are what I call a “braveheart,” and my wish is that somehow or another your surgery date can be moved up.  If I lived close to you...but I don’t, so I send you my prayers, virtual hugs, and virtual flowers.  I will be also praying for a brilliant surgeon to take your pain away. 

All my best wishes,

Pam