Honored Contributor

Re: "sfnative" Update on Sciatic Pain Issue

[ Edited ]

@sfnative.  Rebecca, One last word on the chair issue,  today QVC was selling a "sleeping recliner" that went completely flat, and is electric with a battery backup.  I thought about you.  H218633.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@sfnative   I hope and pray that you will find relief.  In reading your post again, I noticed that a transformer was being replaced.  It may have been an emergency, but I have found most of those types of "repair/maintenance" are scheduled well in advance. 

I would reach out to the power company and see if they have some sort of notification process that would let you know well in advance of this maintenance.  My power company had a planned outage in my neighborhood and I believe that we receive an email and letter notification a week or two in advance. 

This might help to avoid another situation or stocking up the refrigerator just before the power goes out for 5+ hours.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@sfnative   I hope and pray that you will find relief.  In reading your post again, I noticed that a transformer was being replaced.  It may have been an emergency, but I have found most of those types of "repair/maintenance" are scheduled well in advance. 

I would reach out to the power company and see if they have some sort of notification process that would let you know well in advance of this maintenance.  My power company had a planned outage in my neighborhood and I believe that we receive an email and letter notification a week or two in advance. 

This might help to avoid another situation or stocking up the refrigerator just before the power goes out for 5+ hours.

@CAcableGirl2 

I totally get where you're coming from.

Get this.  We're from SF.  Born there, school, college, married there, lived there 48 years, when Silicon Valley crisis hit my husband badly.  Anyway, PG&E and all of the other utilities in San Francisco, even Sunset Scavenger, would always notify us, always, when work was going to be occur.  They never missed a beat.

Now fast forward to our move northward to be with our daughter, SIL and granddaughter.  This freaking city has been so fiscally mismanaged for decades they wouldn't know what to do if ever there were competent people running things and spening bucks wisely.

Note:  We live in a really nice townhouse "community," which is laid out with lots of green spaces and a pool.  We run our own HOA and my husband is the Head of Maintenance, so when this occurred with the City's electric ____ folks, my husband was all over them like the plague.  Though a Silicon Valley VP of R&D, prior to retiring (in high tech in SoCal), he made a turn early in his career and went to law school to boot, so knows how to handle these situations and just which knobs to turn.

Honestly, he's made enough noise with the utilities that I don't believe this will ever occur again.  A man rang our doorbell the other day.  He was with a city crew which had to dig a trough in the street in front of one of our driveways, for sewer line access, and needed my husband's permission to do so (a result of that plague I referred to).  So, husband stepped outside with him, walked way down the street to check things out, plus to check out their equipment, only to find out after questioning them that they intended to park their big diggers and such on our property in guest parking.  Excuse me?!  Needless to say they were directed to park on the street.  Geeeez.  At least these guys know which house is ours and have been told to ring our doorbell before they even think about starting a project.  Phew!

Thanks so much for chiming in on this issue.  Many people would not know what to do and really need your input. XXX

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@sfnative.  Rebecca, One last word on the chair issue,  today QVC was selling a "sleeping recliner" that went completely flat, and is electric with a battery backup.  I thought about you.  H218633.

@Kachina624 

Whoa!  I need to check this out!!!  Mine is a cheapy and probably on it's last leg anyway.

Thanks so much for the lead, Kachina!  XXX

Honored Contributor

Wow @Kachina624  that chair is nice!   When my sister was diagnosed with 

Guillain-Barré syndrome in 2016, she bought a 'booster' type recliner like this.  The GB paralyzed her left arm and right leg (if memory serves me correctly - I know it was opposite sides between arm and leg) and this type of recliner was a godsend for her. 

I think it's fantastic that they developed one with a battery back up.  I'm not in need of one at this time however I will jot down the company's name in the event I need one in the future.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama.  I fell in love with that chair.  Alas, it's not in my budget.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're right, it's not inexpensive @Kachina624 

I never asked my sister what she paid for hers.  I don't know that it had all the heat and massaging features and I remember my sister's kids getting their noses out of joint because my sister spent $$ on it.  They were wise enough to never say a word about it in front of me.

I remember I found a fantastic bath chair on Amazon.  It was top rated and on sale, free shipping and handling.  My sister loved Amazon.

I think this was it:

Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat. Premium PADDED Bath and Shower Chair with Pivoting Arms. Space Saving Design for Tubs and Shower

Kids had something to say about that too.  Of course, not in front of me.  That booster recliner and sliding transfer bath chair made my sister feel more independent during a vulnerable time. 

PS:  Even with the transfer bench, we never let my sister bathe/shower alone.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  You are in my prayers and I hope the neurosurgeon has some ideas to give you relief.

Occasional Contributor

@sfnative @Hello my new friend, I’ve been worried about you since you first wrote about your pain and then I never heard back from you. I can CERTAINLY relate the story involving the recliner as I’ve had many similar stories through the years myself. They either make my friends laugh until they cry, or just say “oh dear” if it’s someone who is lucky enough not to have serious pain/health issues in their own lives! I won’t offer any advise, since I can’t add anything of help, but I do want to tell you that I am here for you and to offer support and understanding in any way I can. Even if it’s only by sharing one of my “laugh until you shed a few tears” stories. Gee, what better way to make new friends! LOL. Or maybe not!!! 😂

Esteemed Contributor

@3DogMom2022 wrote:

@sfnative @Hello my new friend, I’ve been worried about you since you first wrote about your pain and then I never heard back from you. I can CERTAINLY relate the story involving the recliner as I’ve had many similar stories through the years myself. They either make my friends laugh until they cry, or just say “oh dear” if it’s someone who is lucky enough not to have serious pain/health issues in their own lives! I won’t offer any advise, since I can’t add anything of help, but I do want to tell you that I am here for you and to offer support and understanding in any way I can. Even if it’s only by sharing one of my “laugh until you shed a few tears” stories. Gee, what better way to make new friends! LOL. Or maybe not!!! 😂

@3DogMom2022 

I apologize profusely if I failed to get back to you upon making a comment to my post.  I have tried, but frankly am limited to 10 minutes on my laptop, as any longer causes pain to spike badly.  I haven't been on this site in at least a week or more for that reason.

Am looking forward to Monday the 23rd, as I finally see the neurosurgeon and receive the MRI results.  At this point, I honestly don't have any expectations, but do have a fear of being told I'm going to have to simply live with this severe pain the remainder of my life.  Because I have other issues, I honestly think I might go out into the parking lot and scream, if this occurs.