Highlighted
Respected Contributor

•• "Superbug linked to 2 deaths at UCLA hospital; 179 potentially exposed" (article & videos) ••

We're in serious trouble from overusing antibiotics.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

GO TO THE LINK FOR STORY & VIDEOS:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hospital-infections-20150218-story.html#page=1

"Nearly 180 patients at UCLA's Ronald Reagan Medical Center may have been exposed to potentially deadly bacteria from contaminated medical scopes, and two deaths have already been linked to the outbreak.

The Times has learned that the two people who died are among seven patients that UCLA found were infected by the drug-resistant superbug known as CRE — a number that may grow as more patients get tested.

The outbreak is the latest in a string of similar incidents across the country that has top health officials scrambling for a solution.

UCLA said it discovered the outbreak late last month while running tests on a patient. This week, it began to notify 179 other patients who were treated from October to January and offer them medical tests.

By some estimates, if the infection spreads to a person's bloodstream, the bacteria can kill 40% to 50% of patients.

At issue is a specialized endoscope inserted down the throats of about 500,000 patients annually to treat cancers, gallstones and other ailments of the digestive system.

These duodenoscopes are considered minimally invasive, and doctors credit them for saving lives through early detection and treatment. But medical experts say some scopes can be difficult to disinfect through conventional cleaning because of their design, so bacteria are transmitted from patient to patient.

These instruments are not the same type used in more routine endoscopies and colonoscopies.

The procedure in question is known as ERCP, or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. The superbug is carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

Re: •• ""Superbug linked to 2 deaths at UCLA hospital; 179 potentially exposed"" (article & videos) ••

I don't know why these are not made as disposable tools This is both sad and dangerous Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: •• ""Superbug linked to 2 deaths at UCLA hospital; 179 potentially exposed"" (article & videos) ••

This has been all over the news in northern CA, and it's really scary.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2015 MalteseMomma said:

I don't know why these are not made as disposable tools This is both sad and dangerous Smiley Sad

I agree and we NEED to be more careful with how antibiotics are used.Smiley Sad

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2015 MalteseMomma said:

I have a feeling because they just can't be. They have multiple parts and scopes. It would be SUPER expensive to dispose of them.

Cleaning and sterilizing them is obviously a challenge. They are going to have to figure a better way.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Geez, I had an endoscopy last Tuesday...