Trusted Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Contact Dept. of Aging, Senoior resources for your community and SHIIP for your state to begin.

I signed up with Humana for Medicare Supplement for Plan G.  

I need a very thorough plan since I must have tests for the next 3 years as a recent cancer survivor.

I also signed up for Humana Rx plan through Walmart  Most of my meds on this will be free or very inexpensive .

I also will be able to exercise w/my Silver Sneakers benef.it through Humana for the Supplement .This alone saves me at least $50.00 a month in gym fees.

This may change at some point in the future.

Also, look at Mutual of Omaha's Plan G supplement. This was quoted to me at $86.00 a month and M of O  has been in Medicare Supplement insurance for over 50 years and has a very good track record.

Regarding Mutual of Omaha:  It was the lowest when I signed up, but went up more each year than the others because (I was told) they keep their groups small and then start a new group each year.  The problem with that is that you don't have a wide range of ages in each group so everybody is getting older and sicker at the same time.

Honored Contributor

I live in a large metro area, you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a hospital.   Largest employer is a University Medical Center with a teaching hospital.

I choose a zero premium HMO.   Doctor co-pay is $30 per visit.  I rarely have to go more than once a month.  I didn't have to change doctors when I signed up, all my doctors were in the network.

All my friends told me to go with Humana, but so far so good with the local HMO, which BTW has been in business for many years, over 20 at least.

Here's a list I researched before I made my decision:

Aetna

Humana

United Healthcare

Cigna

Honored Contributor

@software You siuation is similar to Pittsburgh. Lots of hospitals but almost all owned either by Blue Cross or by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). The 2 big medical groups are at war up there and pretty much if you have UPMC insurance you must use only their facilities and same if you have Blue Cross.Lately, some other groups are moving in like United healthcare. My SIL changed from her Blue Cross HMO advantage plan to UHC because with it she can go to hospitals or facilities owned by either side. UHC was smart to move into this market area.

Respected Contributor

I have Cigna Medicare Supplement plan F, cost is 135 dollars per month, never have had any out of pocket expense so far everything has been paid. In the past year I have had numerous test done which all were very expensive, but no cost to me.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Has anyone found a good Medicare Suppliment that is a good choice, and is really affordable ? Need help in choosing one. Thank-You in Advance.

@BeccaLou

EVERY Medicare plan is a "good choice"  ......  for someone, but you should select a plan that meets YOUR needs.  

You didn't mention if you are leaning towards Traditional Medicare or an Advantage plan, so if you're not clear, start with that.   Your local library might have "Medicare For Dummies" from the yellow Dummies books ....  this could also help clarify any confusion you might have.

There is so much more to consider here than just  "really affordable".   You need to do the homework yourself, but there are places mentioned upthread that can help you with your selection ....... but they won't do it for you.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how much time you have until your supposed to start medicare, but we have done quite a lot of research before picking. First you have to figure out what the difference is between medicare supplements and medicare advantage plans. Second most important is how much can you afford to pay per month. Those two things will really narrow down your search. Remember - if you choose a supplement you are required to also pick a drug plan, so that is additional cost. Then you sit down and make a list of what you NEED and another of things you don't need but would like if available. Then armed with this information, you are ready to go to an agent and see what is available in your area. Best of luck on your journey into medicare .

Respected Contributor

Plan F for Medicare Supplement end 1/1/2020 although recipients willl be grandfathered in, but $$ will go up as no new customers will be added, so the group ages and benefits cost more.

Respected Contributor

@151949  That's what I also did before signing up.

Seeing a SHIIP counselor really helped also.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@software You siuation is similar to Pittsburgh. Lots of hospitals but almost all owned either by Blue Cross or by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC). The 2 big medical groups are at war up there and pretty much if you have UPMC insurance you must use only their facilities and same if you have Blue Cross.Lately, some other groups are moving in like United healthcare. My SIL changed from her Blue Cross HMO advantage plan to UHC because with it she can go to hospitals or facilities owned by either side. UHC was smart to move into this market area.

The HMO I chose actually started many years ago for just employees of the University itself and hospital/clinic employees.   I was surprised that all  my doctors were in the network.   I use one of the local Catholic hospitals, used it for many years.   

There's so  much competition here.    You have the Baptist hospitals, the Catholic hospitals, University hospitals and a monstrosity of a hospital owned by Community Health Systems.    Of course, there's no competition when it comes to health insurance, Blue Cross has a stranglehold on that.    

How much is the premium for the BC HMO?

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  Incorrect information. With a supplement, Part D (a prescription drug program) is an wonderful option and lowers pharmacy costs considerably. If a Medicare patient has no prescriptions (unlikely), the cost is minimal. I enjoy supporting a local pharmacy that I've gone to for years, rather than a CVS, WalMart, Walgreen's or being forced to utilize mailorder. I like keeping my money in the local economy! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.