Super Contributor

Re: "Breaking up with your Doctor"

[ Edited ]

I switched doctors last year,  I made an appt with the new doctor I wanted to go to, and this one got my files from the other one. All I had to do was fill out new patient forms with the new one.

Nothing had to be said to the other one which I liked.

Respected Contributor

I had to change primary care provider because the one we've been with for 22+ years just doesn't know how to take care of older people. We told him we feel we need to start seeing a gerentologist and he was fine with that.

What I DIDN'T tell him is that...

1) I bust my hump to get there on time, wait for 30 minutes in the waiting room and then another 10-20 minutes in the examining room;

2) his first response to almost anything is to get out his prescription pad

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Based on your circumstances my answer would be no.   

However, when I parted ways with my provider of 10+ years, he received a very detailed letter regarding his practices; a copy of which was also forwarded to the state medical board.  

Wow! you won't get any criticism from me; if he was that bad he probably should have been reported. Good for you

Respected Contributor

@ Like everything else I do, I would tell them exactly my reason(s) for going elsewhere.
Having read your posts for several years I'm sure you would.
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Patients come and go from medical practices all the time. 

I've done it. Just left and had my records forwarded. They never asked why and I never said anything. To be honest, they don't really care. I wouldn't waste my time, effort or emotions on a "break-up" chat. 

Exactly.  Most aren't going to take any criticism constructively and I'm sure many are relieved to see some patients leave.  

@Mj12 

First, I disagree with both of you @Mj12 @FrostyBabe1 for your generalization of doctors. Those may be your feelings because of the doctors you have seen, but for me for someone to say "they don't really care"?  Again, maybe that's true with your doctors.

As I said in my other post, I have doctors in my family and 2 other doctors are my good friends. One of my Gasto Doctors, not a friend or family member, did this. I had spent close to 5 weeks in the hospital with my colon bleeding.

Colonoscopies? Either 5-6/Camera Pill once/blood transfusions 12/Iron Infusions 8. This Gastro Doctor sent me to the Nebraska Medical Center, yes the one out front of the ***** virus and SARS.

They were the only hospital in this area to have the equipment to do the Double Balloon Enteroscopy Procedures. I had both the Upper and the Lower. He found my bleeding issue via these procedures. 

A couple blood transfusions and 1 Iron Infusion and 3 days later I was released by him to go home. What did he do for me other than find the bleed and fix it? 

He, unlike any other doctor I have or ever had, that were not family or friend?  He said if I had an issue to call him. At his office, NO. He gave me his cell phone number. So to say "they don't really care"!

Sorry you picked the wrong doctors for yourselves. I am also really sorry to see you do, what many are now doing, to those that have jobs to protect us. 1 or 2 bad ones means they are all bad! SORRY NOT TRUE!

hckynut 

you sure are getting testy lately.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't tell your present doctor anything negative. 

Dare I say:  Never  know what she will write on her notes on your chart.  'Uncooperative', 'negative personality disorder', etc., etc.  Who knows what someone will come up with.

Just go ahead and switch doctors.  

Start a new, nice relationship with your new doctor.  On a positive note.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I wouldn't tell your present doctor anything negative. 

Dare I say:  Never  know what she will write on her notes on your chart.  'Uncooperative', 'negative personality disorder', etc., etc.  Who knows what someone will come up with.

Just go ahead and switch doctors.  

Start a new, nice relationship with your new doctor.  On a positive note.

That's exactly why I would never, ever put an "explanation" in writing. 

Doctors can fire patients, too, and the label "difficult patient" makes that an easy call.

My old practice didn't ask why I was leaving. My new doctor did, and I told him they were barbarians at the old practice. They performed what they billed as surgery without sedation, never mind anaesthesia, even a local. Took 3 years to treat unabated and worsening high blood pressure. Their nurses, usually the backbone of a practice, were unprofessional and unpleasant. The practice was about bucks and big data, and patients were simply vehicles to their objectives. I've not yet met anyone who is happy with my old practice.

I believe it is a tactical error to think of any professional as a "friend." You need to be able to speak freely about concerns and dissatisfaction, to question judgment calls. If you're hamstrung by confused feelings, it will be much harder to do that. I've personally paid the price for this mistake in pain and dollars, which is why I don't make it now. The same applies to my tree guy and landscaper, general contractor, plumber, electrician, roofer, and car mechanic. Not friends, but valued and trusted professionals.

This may be different for males. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several of us switched on the computer. 

In the medical building, in my case.  No questions asked.  (HMO) 

They showed me pages and pages of docs that I might be interested in.  Photos and bio, etc.

No use in starting a new doc on a bad note (in a chart).  

Something like switching jobs.........during interviews, they always say it's better to not criticize the previous employer.  

Well, just my opinion.

(Of course, if it's some type of harassment, or worse, better to report it.)

Anyway, good luck to the O/P.   Always nice to have a new beginning with a nice, new doc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@hckynut     Perhaps we are the fortunate ones to have simply had outstanding physicians. 

Regarding my PCP, he is truly a friend. He's helped out my family before, gone above and beyond. We started off working for the same organization, and then when he left and went into his own practice I followed. I've been with him a couple of decades now, and feel very fortunate he is in my life.

My parents are switching over to his care in the next month, and I am very relieved to know they will be in good hands. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox    I realize you've already posted that you have cancelled this appointment, but I wanted to let you know I agree with your original plan. I think your gut was right on. 

Doctors are in business like any other business. If their practice is lacking in service, they need to hear about it. They can't make improvements if they don't know what is upsetting their patient. 

Once they've been informed if they do not choose to correct the issues, then that is on them. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon