Honored Contributor

"Breaking up with your Doctor"

If you find it necessary to change doctors do you feel that you have to explain to the doctor why you have left.

I have found a new Immunologist who is very well vered in my issues, he made me feel comfortable and he shared with me his private cell if I need to contact him

I am leaving a doctor who I was with for two years, she claimed she never saw my messages (weather they are are important or not) and her assistant  says that they never listen to voice mail messages

Add to this she sent my for a "second opinion" to a doctor that knew nothing about the treatment I am on and retook blood work that was taken a week before,

My doctor neither shared info with me or the referral, as to why I was there, I was under the impression that the referal knew why I was there 

Finally I suspect she sent me to the second doctor for something that was addressed when I first started seeing her.

I have a video appointment on Monday and I will lay all of this out for her, not that is is really necessary.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: "Breaking up with your Doctor"

I was with a PCP for over 25 years and the last several years I just didn't like the way he did things or made me feel.  after searching for a long time I found someone new who is great, easy to talk to and has even given me his cell number if I need to speak with him personally.

I never looked back nor did I give my old doctor a reason why.  I would say no ....why do you have to explain unless you feel it's important for you to let them know why.

Honored Contributor

I switched doctors once; I did not feel the need to take any of my time to let him know why I didn't like him.  Why do that to ourselves? It's over, I would just move on and look forward to better care from your new doctor.  Good luck.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't "lay" anything out.  I would not keep a video appt., I would call and cancel. No need to waste your energy telling the MD why you are leaving. No need. Save it.

Honored Contributor

Based on your circumstances my answer would be no.   

However, when I parted ways with my provider of 10+ years, he received a very detailed letter regarding his practices; a copy of which was also forwarded to the state medical board.  

Honored Contributor

I left a doctor my Internist referred me to.  I did not speak with the doctor I left;  I had only 2 appointments with her so I was essentially a new patient.  She was fine -  her staff was incompetent to the extent of rudeness.

I did speak with my Internist who had recommended her because I wanted another recommnedation.  It was obvious to me he knew about the issues in that office and he didn't make the slightest attempt to suggest I try her again.

I've used several of my doctors for decades, and I definitely will let them know when/ if I leave their care.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

Closure and I need to say me peace, I would normally do this in a message on the portal but those seem to go unread for days if ever

@haddon9 wrote:

I was with a PCP for over 25 years and the last several years I just didn't like the way he did things or made me feel.  after searching for a long time I found someone new who is great, easy to talk to and has even given me his cell number if I need to speak with him personally.

I never looked back nor did I give my old doctor a reason why.  I would say no ....why do you have to explain unless you feel it's important for you to let them know why.

@haddon9 wrote:

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

My doctor of 20 years informed me that he was no longer accepting my insurance, and that "we could work out an arrangement " At that point, I knew that meant that I would be now paying out of pocket. I couldn't afford that. I never went back. Enough said by the both of us.

Respected Contributor

Patients come and go from medical practices all the time. 

I've done it. Just left and had my records forwarded. They never asked why and I never said anything. To be honest, they don't really care. I wouldn't waste my time, effort or emotions on a "break-up" chat. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Super Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Patients come and go from medical practices all the time. 

I've done it. Just left and had my records forwarded. They never asked why and I never said anything. To be honest, they don't really care. I wouldn't waste my time, effort or emotions on a "break-up" chat. 

So true, they really don't care. Move on.