Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

just wondering...I am approaching week 7 after THR ( and doing very well) and starting week #3 of outpatient PT 2X weekly and doing exerciese 2x day at home.  I have been VERY faithful about doing these since surgery but I must admit I am getting tired of doing them so often.  Is it bad to skip a session once in a while?  I have read pros and cons for doing PT but I do think it helps.  They don't tell you that this is such a long process...

The proper exercises will make you feel good.  Walking is the best exercise.  Is your therapist walking outside with you?  This way your gait and balance is assessed.  My home exercises were so minimal, I didn't mind them at all.

Honored Contributor

Re: pt post hip replacement

[ Edited ]

@On It wrote:

@bargainsgirl I am glad you are making progress. If you begin skipping PT sessions it may slow your progress. I understand your being tired, but push through. Don't skip or shorten your exercises.

Edited to add: Tell your PT you are getting tired of the regimen. Maybe he or she can suggest how to change or cope without hindering progress.

When my husband was going for PT to gain strength back in his legs after surgery that took longer than normal to heal from they would make him do the chair bike first to loosen the muscles in his legs.  Problem with that was he wasn't able to do much of anything else after and wasn't able to finish the reps for each exercise. 

When he finally told the therapist that he wasn't going to do that first she got really nasty with him. She did not take kindly to being told that and just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for all patients.  Once they made that the last thing of the session he was able to do everything else.

My point is, she didn't like being told no, so stick to your guns if you do say something about switching it up.

Super Contributor

lovestoshop65

I am Day 3 from total hip replacement. My incision site is still numb but I think by tomorrow I will regain feeling. I was told to walk as much as possible. I have a question for anyone that has had hip replacement. At what point, did your operated side stop feeling like a lead pipe you are lugging around? I am very stiff when getting up and those first few steps are rough. Once I getting going I walk fairly well. I would like to ditch the walker but I know I am not ready yet. My leg feels too heavy. I am 59 and at some point will need other side replaced. 

I feel like I was not really prepared for this first week after surgery. Because I am fairly young, I was led to believe I would not need alot of help. I am grateful my sister is with me because that has not been the case.

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

lovestoshop65

I am Day 3 from total hip replacement. My incision site is still numb but I think by tomorrow I will regain feeling. I was told to walk as much as possible. I have a question for anyone that has had hip replacement. At what point, did your operated side stop feeling like a lead pipe you are lugging around? I am very stiff when getting up and those first few steps are rough. Once I getting going I walk fairly well. I would like to ditch the walker but I know I am not ready yet. My leg feels too heavy. I am 59 and at some point will need other side replaced. 

I feel like I was not really prepared for this first week after surgery. Because I am fairly young, I was led to believe I would not need alot of help. I am grateful my sister is with me because that has not been the case.

Texassunflower:

It will be 2 months for me Wednesday.  Be very patient.  I am 68 and in fairly good shape and I thought I would be farther ahead than I am by now but therapists and docs and those who have had the surgery say it takes longer than they tell you.  I would say about week 6 you turn the corner.  I notice improvement each week. I ditched the walker around week 3-4 and started using a cane which I am still using at times but trying to walk without as much as I can.  At home. I go to pt 2x weekly and do the at home exercises daily as well.  Be very faithful about all the exercises.  They do  help alot. Sleeping is geting better but I still need help tieing sneakers and I still need to use the raised toilet seat.  Try to do as much as you can and follow your "normal" routine as best you can.  I felt better when I did that. I went back to my part time volunteer job at our library and I am back to grocery shopping.  I was able to drive after 4 week check up. Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

I found that at three months the hip was perfect!