Trusted Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak

@Swissguy, sorry that you are suffering from pneumonia.  Get all the rest you can to help you with, hopefully, a speedy recovery.

Honored Contributor

@Swissguy,     I had pneumonia earlier this year.  It depends on how many lungs you have it in too.  This time I recovered quickly.  My doctor had me on 2 different anti-biotics and it was in my right lung only.  The first time I had pneumonia was 2 years ago in the same lung but for some reason it did take longer to recover.  I felt very weak for quite some time but after a month and a half, I was back to normal.  I hope you feel better soon.  Just be good to yourself and take it easy until you recover.  If you feel it is taking too long, speak to your doctor.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Swissguy

Have just read a few replies.  When you stated that you're having a problem just catching your breath, a big red light went on.

Please get on the phone and make an appointment to see your physician.  Do not settle for a talk with the "nurse," who may just be a medical assistant, or, if an RN, you still need to have your doc listen to your chest and heart and ask you questions.

At this point, you need this follow-up visit.  If you are denied this, call your insurance company, tell them what's going on, that you are short of breath, and ask for the name of a Pulmonologist.

Do this today.

Honored Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

@Swissguy

You went back yesterday for another X-ray and it showed nothing -- clean! That is great!

As others mentioned, don't hesitate to check in with your MD if symptoms persist.

I always said "I NEVER get lung involvement with my URIs. Spring of 2016 was a different story. It went into my lungs and DH, who never gets sick, was diagnosed at the very same time with sinus infection. We came down with it while sitting on the plane.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@Swissguy, sorry that you are suffering from pneumonia.  Get all the rest you can to help you with, hopefully, a speedy recovery.

Thank you!

Valued Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Swissguy

Have just read a few replies.  When you stated that you're having a problem just catching your breath, a big red light went on.

Please get on the phone and make an appointment to see your physician.  Do not settle for a talk with the "nurse," who may just be a medical assistant, or, if an RN, you still need to have your doc listen to your chest and heart and ask you questions.

At this point, you need this follow-up visit.  If you are denied this, call your insurance company, tell them what's going on, that you are short of breath, and ask for the name of a Pulmonologist.

Do this today.

thank you!

I did go back and a follow up x ray and the dr says it will just be more time.... I need to rest and be patient he said 

Thanks again for your concern!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

@Swissguy, I'm glad they did another xray and everything was ok.

Have fun being patient...hope you are better at that than I am, lol.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was short of breath and tired for a long time. I was miserable, but feel fortunate to have lived through it. Try and do just a little more walking or activity each day but do not overdo yourself. 

Super Contributor

I was sick in March  over my birthday and it took 2 months to just feel Normal again. I was throwing up everything I ate for 2 weeks even...Rest and sleep as much as you can. I had 2 doctor visits and 5 Prescriptions! Caught it at work.....

Honored Contributor

@Swissguy

I posted a thread about a type of pneumonia caused by an organism that has become resistant to many forms of treatment.

Has anyone ever heard of supplementing with NAC?

Apparently, this substance helps break up phlegm and is often used for patients with COPD and Cystic Fibrosis. I don't understand why the doctors don't ever mention it for either "us regulars" (those with chronic sinus infections) or those with recurring pneumonia?

Chlamydia pneumoniae ( the organism) was always contracted in hospitals in the past-- just as MRSA used to be confined to hospitals.

Information might be something a person would want to ask about if need be.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~