Respected Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

I went to the dr. 3-1/2 weeks ago thinking I had bronchitis but it turned out to be pneumonia.  I am much better but the fatigue is awful.  My dr. said that takes the longest to get over.       

Honored Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak

@Swissguy

My lungs have been damaged from having pneumonia 3 times, 1 of which was Aspiration Pneumonia, that came close to killing me. That bout with that type of pneumonia was during my 1st heart attack, was pretty bad.

Took me well over a year to get the fluid out of my lungs, and I eas using a Nebulizer 3 times per day any my spirometer at least 10-15 times during the day. My Pulmonologist had me take tests every 3 months to check my lung volume and function, so I could see my progress.

I continue to use my spirometer at least a half dozen times every single day, and I believe it has paid off in big dividends for me, and especially my damaged lungs. 

Haven't dealt with it recently, but I understand that it takes time, but mostly a lot of work to do by the patient many times. My suggestion would be to get a spirometer if you do not have one. Of course check with your treating doctor before doing this.

My Pulmonologist has all his pneumonia patients using a spirometer. He has told me several times over the years, that for many pneumonia patients, that is one of the best things they can do for themselves when it comes to any type of pneumonia. He stressed that when I was in ICU for almost 8 days because of my Aspiration Pneumonia.

To me six weeks is not a long time if your lungs were dealing with certain strains of pneumonia. Optimism has always been my best friend.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

No pneumonia for me! I was vaccinated! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have had pneumonia 5 times including walking pneumonia April 2016, each time it is different. 
Horrible cough and aches and pains.

Hang in the it will get beter.

The first time was the worst, I tired and out of breath for months

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are different kinds and depending on how soon you start treatment helps.

I have never had it, but family members have and viral pneumonia.

An anti-inflammatory diet will also help get your energy back as your body is trying to heal itself, it can put all of it's effort there.

In my 20s, I contracted a virus of unknown name from a trip my roommate took to Genada.  She came back with it and then I got it.  After the first 6 weeks of being bedridden, it took almost 5 months before I woke up one day and realized I felt well.

One of the things I did was incorporate more veggies into my diet and less dessert.  I didn't really understand food back then, but I know I was better off eating more vegetables and less dessert.

Viral infections kick your butt.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

As everyone else says, time.   My brother has been recovering for the last couple months.   He was hospitalized 3 times during this bout.   I thought we were going to lose him a couple times.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

No pneumonia for me! I was vaccinated! Woman Happy

The vaccine is effective for pnuemococcal infections (bacterial) only. It will not prevent viral or other forms of pneumonia. There are more than 30 different causes of pneumonia.

I had mycoplasma pneumonia. The vaccine would not have helped me.

Honored Contributor

I had pneumonia last Fall. It took months to recover. The time before it about 15 years prior, I was still coughing 6 months later. I suggest a lot of rest and don't push yourself. The body needs time to heal. Also eating a healthy anti-inflammatory diet helps.

@Swissguy My best to you in feeling better during the recovery process. Hang in there..

Honored Contributor

I am asthmatic so these things take forever for me to get over. A few yearts ago I had bacterial pneumonia and despite IV antibiotics and prednisone & being in warm, sunny Florida it took me all winter to feel better. At the same time my DH had a sinus infection - we were a mess for sure.

Honored Contributor

we have so many new health problems with all of the world traveling and people moving to the USA.Just heard on the news that there is a new superbug in hospitals and nursing homes.I don't think people should be allowed to come here without all of their vaccinations.We moved from Canada 17 years ago and we had to show proof of vaccines and some we had to retake.We also had to be examined by a doctor of immigrations choice.