Respected Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

I had pneumonia this time last year.  Was in the hospital for a week with a chest tube and then had to have daily antiobiotic infusions for 30 days.  That pretty much took care of the next 3-4 months.  I still have some residual side effects.  It took a long time before I didnt feel exhausted.  I couldnt do much of anything for months. I think it just depends on the severity of your case.  I wouldnt push yourself tho.  It is what it is.  Take care of yourself, dont push

Valued Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

@meem120 wrote:

I had pneumonia this time last year.  Was in the hospital for a week with a chest tube and then had to have daily antiobiotic infusions for 30 days.  That pretty much took care of the next 3-4 months.  I still have some residual side effects.  It took a long time before I didnt feel exhausted.  I couldnt do much of anything for months. I think it just depends on the severity of your case.  I wouldnt push yourself tho.  It is what it is.  Take care of yourself, dont push

Thanks!  I am sorry to hear what you had to go though.... 

This has been very difficult for me and I am trying to follow your advise about not pushing myself---but hearing it again is helpful.

Thanks again

Valued Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak

I had pneumonia several years and prior to that several bouts of bronchitis and upper respiratory infections.  I started acupuncture, recommended by my doctor, right after I was diagnosed with pneumonia and I believe that it not only helped me recover faster (about 4 months total) but has kept me from getting sick.  It's now 15 years later.  I go monthly now but was going once a week for about a year.  My immune system was severely compromised because of the respiratory issues.  My parents smoked and even though I never have my doctor feels that my lungs are weaker because of my exposure to the second hand smoke.  

Valued Contributor

@catmamma wrote:

I had pneumonia several years and prior to that several bouts of bronchitis and upper respiratory infections.  I started acupuncture, recommended by my doctor, right after I was diagnosed with pneumonia and I believe that it not only helped me recover faster (about 4 months total) but has kept me from getting sick.  It's now 15 years later.  I go monthly now but was going once a week for about a year.  My immune system was severely compromised because of the respiratory issues.  My parents smoked and even though I never have my doctor feels that my lungs are weaker because of my exposure to the second hand smoke.  

My mom is super into acupuncture and she feels it has helped her in so many ways.

Maybe I should try that.... It's just not easy to find a really good one and hers is in another area all together...

Thank you and I am sorry to hear of the troubles you've had!!

Respected Contributor

Swiss..even when I felt better and wanted to do more things, my body said NO. lol.  I was really afraid of a relapse.  I had the bacterial kind that clotted and if the meds didnt work to break up the clumps of bacteria, they were going to have to go into my lung and scrape out the bacteria.  Who knew it could be so complicated?  I really didnt.  So do please take care, its nothing to fool around with.

Respected Contributor

@Swissguy  Thank you for your empathy with my asthma.  Actually, it's very well controlled with the Advair inhaler I use twice a day.  I also have an emergency inhaler, but I only use that before I go jogging (you need a lot of air for that!).  I've had those breathless attacks in the past, and even for only a few moments it's pretty scary.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@Swissguy wrote:

About six weeks ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia.  

While the horrible cough and subsequent lost voice is no longer an issue, I still feel extemely weak and have trouble catching my breath.  

An elderly neighbor told me it took her over three months to feel better and I am curious what others think.

I have been trying to be consistent with the inhaler despite what bad things I have read about them!

Anyone else had to deal with this recently?  The nurse at my Dr office said so many people have had horrible coughs this year including pneumonia.

Thanks either way!! 

Yes. It took me a very long time to feel completely better and I was 45.  I went back to work as a substitute teacher way to early (3weeks) and the school told me to go home.  I was still pale and tired easily.  Take very good care of yourself. 

Valued Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

My doctor also said it is a bad year for all respiratory issues.   Years ago I had to get pneumonia and flu shots because of my husband's health issues.  I have kept them up ever since.   Coincidence or not I have not had a serious problem since.  As soon as the bronchitis becomes apparent I get treatment because the 2 times I waited it went to bronchial pneumonia.  At 72 I consider myself very lucky.

Winter here in NY had extremes of cold and warm.  My doctor said we did not have enough consecutive days of real cold to kill the germs, etc.

If you are not getting better I would see the doctor.  6 weeks seems like a long time to me.  When in doubt ask.  You need to be as healthy as you can be and stay that way.  Summer heat is coming.  We all will be fighting the extremes of heat and air conditioning.

Thank you!! I did visit him yesterday and he said I just needed to be patient as I was so sick and continue to use the ihhaler.

Thank you!!  I wish I had gotten the shots.....

Honored Contributor

@Swissguy

I can't t.e.l.l. you how much I emphathize & sympathize with you!

About 11 yrs ago. I was in my mid-40s...and right in the middle

of my exercise/fitness prime.  One day it started w/ a cough.

I thought it was 'something that was going around'. 

I tried to power through it, with the coughing.  It just got worse & worse!

The night before I finally decided to go to the Dr (iknowiknow...I'm stubborn!), I placed my cell phone next to me in case I had to call 911.  

The 2-coughs-out & 1-breath-in pattern made my oxygen levels so low,

i really thought I might pass out!

After it was all said & done, where the signs of illness were at bay,

it took a good MONTH before I felt comfortable to do

a hard cardio workout where I could take a full, deep breath.

I tell everyone....I wouldn't wish pneumonia on my worst enemy.

It takes lots & lots of time, rest, hydration, fruits/veggies to 100% heal.

Be patient. Take care!

And buy stock in Kleenex. 

😊

Honored Contributor

I got mycoplasma pneumoniae when I was in college. It's highly resistant to many antibiotics and takes forever to recover from. You get weak and then other bad things start to happen.