Valued Contributor

pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak

[ Edited ]

About six weeks ago I was diagnosed with pneumonia.  

While the horrible cough and subsequent lost voice is no longer an issue, I still feel extemely weak and have trouble catching my breath.  

An elderly neighbor told me it took her over three months to feel better and I am curious what others think.

I have been trying to be consistent with the inhaler despite what bad things I have read about them!

Anyone else had to deal with this recently?  The nurse at my Dr office said so many people have had horrible coughs this year including pneumonia.

Thanks either way!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

Yes, I have bad lungs (damaged from repeated infections when I was younger), and I have asthma.  I had pneumonia once, and it was a bear to get over, but mostly I've had bouts with bronchitis.  My most recent bronchitis was last September.  After the antibiotic, It took about 1-1/2 months before I got all of it out of my lungs and started to feel normal again.  As you get older, it's harder for your body to recover from that kind of attack.  

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: pneumonia taking forever to get over! still feel weak/out of breath 6 weeks later

@Swissguy wrote:

While the horrible cough and subsequent lost voice is no longer an issue, I still feel extemely weak and have trouble catching my breath.  

An elderly neighbor told me it took her over three months to feel better and I am curious what others think.

I have been trying to be consistent with the inhaler despite what bad things I have read about them!

Anyone else had to deal with this recently?  The nurse at my Dr office said so many people have had horrible coughs this year including pneumonia.

Thanks either way!! 

Yes, it does take a while, are you exercising your lungs?    Deep breathing?   Blowing in a straw?   Try to not lie down all day, try to keep vertical and moving.   Been there done that.    be sure to keep going back regularly for the x-rays.

Feel better soon.

Valued Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

Yes, I have bad lungs (damaged from repeated infections when I was younger), and I have asthma.  I had pneumonia once, and it was a bear to get over, but mostly I've had bouts with bronchitis.  My most recent bronchitis was last September.  After the antibiotic, It took about 1-1/2 months before I got all of it out of my lungs and started to feel normal again.  As you get older, it's harder for your body to recover from that kind of attack.  

I now have so much empathy for anyone with asthma.  That feeling of not being able to catch your breath is just horrible.....

Thank you and I am sorry to hear of your issues with this kind of thing!!

Valued Contributor

@software wrote:

@Swissguy wrote:

Thanks either way!! 

Yes, it does take a while, are you exercising your lungs?    Deep breathing?   Blowing in a straw?   Try to not lie down all day, try to keep vertical and moving.   Been there done that.    be sure to keep going back regularly for the x-rays.

Feel better soon.

Thanks for the advice....

I have been going to work the past few weeks and walking.  But I will try the breathing exercises as well....  Thanks again

Esteemed Contributor

A close friend had pneumonia for 3 months last year.He was on antibiotics for 2 months.You need a lot of rest.

Esteemed Contributor

@Swissguy, I have never had pneumonia, but my daughter did, many years ago. It does seem like it took her a few months to get back to normal. I think if was were you, I might call the drs office and let them know how you are feeling. I'm concerned that you are still having problems catching your breath.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

A close friend had pneumonia for 3 months last year.He was on antibiotics for 2 months.You need a lot of rest.

Thanks!  I was just thinking of taking a nap, actually!  LOL

Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Swissguy, I have never had pneumonia, but my daughter did, many years ago. It does seem like it took her a few months to get back to normal. I think if was were you, I might call the drs office and let them know how you are feeling. I'm concerned that you are still having problems catching your breath.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I just went back to the DR yestrday he took another xray which seems okay and told me just to be patient.

Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

My doctor also said it is a bad year for all respiratory issues.   Years ago I had to get pneumonia and flu shots because of my husband's health issues.  I have kept them up ever since.   Coincidence or not I have not had a serious problem since.  As soon as the bronchitis becomes apparent I get treatment because the 2 times I waited it went to bronchial pneumonia.  At 72 I consider myself very lucky.

Winter here in NY had extremes of cold and warm.  My doctor said we did not have enough consecutive days of real cold to kill the germs, etc.

If you are not getting better I would see the doctor.  6 weeks seems like a long time to me.  When in doubt ask.  You need to be as healthy as you can be and stay that way.  Summer heat is coming.  We all will be fighting the extremes of heat and air conditioning.