Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl,

Like you I have had both shots in a similar time frame.   

Honored Contributor

If you go to the pneumovax23.com

website you can read accurate info about this which is different from the pnuemonia 13 shot(s) in the past.

The 23 is given to those over 50 and only once and also to those over 2 with certain immunocompromised or other medical conditions.

It does say healthy adults will only need one a lifetime but as others have said here too, those with certain medical conditions may want to get revaccinated every five years later.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Hello @SeaMaiden ,

Yeah, this can be rather confusing to sort out...

I'll share what I know about this from my own experience.

You don't have to be 65 to get the Pneumonia shots.

For example, you can have other health conditions that would be a reason why your doctor would want you to have the shots at an age other than 65.

From my own understanding, the two shots are each different from each other, and they each cover different bacterial strains of Pneumonia.

One shot is Prevnar13 and the other one is Pneumovax23. They are each given one year apart from each other.

I have Asthma, so that is one of the reasons that my doctor wanted me to have both shots.

I am also prone to getting both bronchitis or pneumonia when I get sick with a cold.