Honored Contributor

There was an original vaccine given some years ago then the newer Prevnar 13 vaccine more recently, which covered different types of pneumonia.  I've had both.  Neither required an additional injection and no mention was made of repeating it in a few years.

The Shringrix vaccine for shingles requires two injections several months apart.  People confuse this with the pneumonia vaccine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: pneumonia shot

[ Edited ]

Here you go...CDC's chart for:  "Pneumococcal Vaccine Timing for Adults"

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/downloads/pneumo-vaccine-timing.pdf

@SeaMaiden 

Esteemed Contributor

There a two different shots.  My were several years apart due to age requirements.  Don't recall any side effects at all.

Then I did manage to land in the hospital with pneumonia again anyway.  So they must not be all that.

Honored Contributor

I am over 65.....and, yes, I received two shots for Pneumonia vaccine....one in 2019...second one this year. No problems with either shot....received at doctor's office during regular check-up....paid by Medicare.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Here you go...CDC's chart for:  "Pneumococcal Vaccine Timing for Adults"

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/downloads/pneumo-vaccine-timing.pdf

@SeaMaiden 

I got the original one and when it was (5 years later), I asked about getting revaccinated, my doctor said "you don't need that one now, you will get the newer one."  It was 5 years apart for me, because I was ready for my 5-year booster, but simultaneously the new one had been put on the market for use and more efficacy.  

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

There a two different shots.  My were several years apart due to age requirements.  Don't recall any side effects at all.

Then I did manage to land in the hospital with pneumonia again anyway.  So they must not be all that.

@Still Raining 

There is more than one kind of pneumoniae and the pneumonia you had was probably a community-acquired pneumonia for which there is no vaccination.

Frequent Contributor

Yes they are two shots, given one year apart. Just had my first one in March 2020 and was told by the pharmacist to return in March 2010. MJB RN

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

is this given in two doses a year apart?  Thanks so much.

Yes, I'm due for my second shot in December. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

This thread has been a real eye-opener for me. I can't remember when I had my first pneumonia shot, but I really didn't feel well for a couple of days afterward--and I hadn't been told that was possible. So when the practice I was with then said it was time for another, I said I didn't want the same thing, so they gave me "the children's shot." Somehow, I don't think that was the right characterization, based on the CDC's info. But I had to laugh about the CDC's repeated statements about "shared clinical
decision-making." It was "you need this shot, with your history, you could get sick," and "okay." 

Honored Contributor

I started getting a pneumonia shot in the mid-90's when I got Pulmonary Sarcoidosis.  I got a shot every year of the shot they gave to older people.  I was only 45 at the time and was told "there, that should last you the rest of your life".... I questioned them because the shot was for those around 65 and up and yes, it (at that time) lasted your life, unless you were only 45. Then I was told one shot every five years!  I did that and the last shots I got were recently the Prevnar ones and had two shots separated by a year and now I'm told that I am completely done.....

BTW, I was supremely lucky because my Sarcoidosis went totally away (spontaneous remission)...... and I thank God every day! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*