Honored Contributor

Is there any truth in that with the pfizer vacinne will  not protect against the mutations of this virus, people will need a 3rd shot ,i can not find anything that is about this,my 86 yr.old mom thinks she heard this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Is there any truth in that with the pfizer vacinne will  not protect against the mutations of this virus, people will need a 3rd shot ,i can not find anything that is about this,my 86 yr.old mom thinks she heard this.

@goldensrbest @Pfizer has not released a statement about this yet. Wait for it. I'm fairly certain they will let us know what they have found out shortly.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  Thanks.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Mindy D  Thanks.

@goldensrbest @They have released information about their vaccine's effectiveness against UK variant. You can read their study here. 

"The Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer-BioNTech appears to work just as well against a fast-spreading variant of the coronavirus first identified in the United Kingdom as it does against earlier forms of the pathogen, the companies reported in a study Wednesday.

The paper from company scientists, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, is a welcome signal that existing vaccines don’t seem to be weakened by the variant in question, dubbed B.1.1.7. Already, scientists had tested the Pfizer vaccine against one of the key mutations in the variant and found the immunization’s neutralization power was not affected.

Scientists are also testing vaccines against other variants of concern, which contain different mutations that in lab experiments have shown they can, to some extent, help the virus evade existing antibodies that recognize and target the virus. These mutations appear in variants first seen in South Africa and Brazil, which also look to be more transmissible than earlier iterations of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The variants in South Africa and Brazil have raised concerns that they can more easily reinfect people who have already recovered from Covid-19 and have antibodies against the virus, though more studies — including whether there’s some impact on how well vaccines work — are" quoted from:

Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine works just as well against variant first detected in U.K., study indicates

From STAT news .  com

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest Moderna is working on a booster for the South African variant.  I wonder if your mom was referring to that?

Honored Contributor

Re: paging mindy d

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest  Guess what? Pfizer has released some news about this to Reuters,

Reuters) - "Pfizer Inc said on Tuesday that along with partner BioNTech Se it was developing a booster shot to protect against COVID-19 variants.

“We are already laying the groundwork to respond quickly if a variant of SARS-CoV-2 shows evidence of escaping immunity by our vaccine,” Pfizer said in an email to Reuters."

Quoted From:

Pfizer working on booster shot to protect against COVID-19 variants