Esteemed Contributor

Re: osteoarthritis in fingers

I've had OA in my left thumb for about ten years. My mother had them throughout all of her fingers. Strangely, mine has not progressed during this time.

When it rains or is cold, the nodule becomes inflamed and hurts. I use Penetrex cream from Amazon at this time. I run warm water over it for immed. relief.

Everyone who has this has some suggestions that have worked for them. A male friend swears the cure is golden raisins soaked in gin every morning.

I attribute my success to eating lots of fish. I know this helps b/c I feel it when I don't eat fish. If it gets real bad, I'll take Tylenol, but that is not often and only after I've tried everything else.

I'm sure your pain must be severe to consider surgery. And I know when you're in great pain, you want it stopped. It would be my last resort after trying everything. I was harmed once with Elective surgery, and that will always be my very last resort.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had to have a CMC Arthroplasty on both right and left hands, due to degredation of the trapezium bone, which results in chronic subluxation of the base of the thumb.  Quite painful.

Unfortunately, in both cases, but hugely worse on  my right hand, post-op I developed CRPS, which included a rapid onset of arthritis.  This means that I had absolutely no arthritis going into the surgery, but within about 3 weeks had mis-shapen fingers, painful knobby joints, spikey pain, and can only bend my fingers to 50% of norm, after 9 months of OT; grip is awful; and, no more playing the piano.

This rapid onset of arthritis and the mis-shapen fingers I now have are simply dreadful.  I feel for each and every one of you who have to deal with this every day of the week forever.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Leeny wrote:

@nana59 I am sorry to hear you have to have your Knee replacement replaced. I had my right knee done in 2014 and have not had a problem. I don't know, I guess I was a lucky one, because I have heard this from others that they need to have it redone. I had a great doctor and this year he is retiring. I hope my left one will hold out and stay good. I know that medications don't always seem to help, but I have found if I even miss a dose it's unbearable for me. GOOD LUCK and like @hckynut states try and keep a good attitude Smiley Happy and keep moving. 

Leeny-can i ask you what med works for you.  i will understand if you rather not say.  i am looking into medical marijuana.  it's legal here in RI, but it takes alot of paperwork. after 15 years of 24/7 chronic pain, i no longer have a good attitude...

There are 20 some states where medical marijuana is lawful for pain, autism, now alzheimer's, neuropathy, cancer and a couple other ailments.. You might check your state.

They have medical marijuana oil in capsuls. I wish it had been legal when my mother was alive.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I've had to have a CMC Arthroplasty on both right and left hands, due to degredation of the trapezium bone, which results in chronic subluxation of the base of the thumb.  Quite painful.

Unfortunately, in both cases, but hugely worse on  my right hand, post-op I developed CRPS, which included a rapid onset of arthritis.  This means that I had absolutely no arthritis going into the surgery, but within about 3 weeks had mis-shapen fingers, painful knobby joints, spikey pain, and can only bend my fingers to 50% of norm, after 9 months of OT; grip is awful; and, no more playing the piano.

This rapid onset of arthritis and the mis-shapen fingers I now have are simply dreadful.  I feel for each and every one of you who have to deal with this every day of the week forever.

So sorry for your pain. I watched my mom as arthritis just tore up her once beautiful hands. They hurt and were very bad, so bad she was ashamed of them she hid them and did not want to eat out.

As she grew older, her hands became weaker and weaker until it was difficult for her to hold a glass.

She had it in her back, also, and used a heating pad. She used a heating pad so much that it eventually burned her back. I saw it one day and couldn't believe it.

She just ate NSAID's, aspirin and was in chronic pain.

I hope you find different methods that relieve some of the pain. Look into the medical marijuana oil in your state. Pain needs to be relieved, and no one should suffer silently.