Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  none of us are perfect @Trinity11. You have fought the good fight, longer than most of us. I am only a 5 year diabetic, and I am sick of it. I can't even fathom how you have managed all these years

I keep hanging on to my hope for a cure, for us all

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11  none of us are perfect @Trinity11. You have fought the good fight, longer than most of us. I am only a 5 year diabetic, and I am sick of it. I can't even fathom how you have managed all these years

I keep hanging on to my hope for a cure, for us all

Thanks @cherry.. I don't think you realize how you inspired me to do better. You have the kind of enthusiasm that I had in the earlier years of having diabetes. I adapted to eating my dinner early and the results are profound. Your sharing here has probably added some years to my life because my A1C is going to be a lot better because my morning readings are now normal.

Honored Contributor

We are all here to help one another @Trinity11. I think my new ER metformin, might be helping me thanks to all of you

I feel a bit better today. It is probably going to take a while to get back on my feet. You can have gastritis with no symptoms, and I suspect I did, until one day, my stomach started screaming at me..

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

We are all here to help one another @Trinity11. I think my new ER metformin, might be helping me thanks to all of you

I feel a bit better today. It is probably going to take a while to get back on my feet. You can have gastritis with no symptoms, and I suspect I did, until one day, my stomach started screaming at me..

@cherry...I really hope that this will be the answer to your prayers. I know the ER is a lot better for myself than the regular metformin, I hope it will be for you too.

Honored Contributor

Dogs can be trained to use their sense of smell to recognize illegal drugs and explosives. So Mark Ruefenacht wondered if the animals also could recognize changes in the blood sugar level of people with diabetes.

Ruenfenacht has had the disease for much of his life. In 1999, he almost died while training a young dog to be a guide dog for the blind. Without any warning, his blood sugar suddenly dropped to a dangerously low level.

Ruefenacht said the dog stayed with him, and tried to keep him awake.

"More than likely, I had a seizure, from the low blood sugar. The dog liked me, and he stuck with me and I was able to get my blood sugar up."

When talking about a drop in blood sugar, doctors use the term hypoglycemia. Ruefenacht said his near death experience made him wonder if dogs could be trained to identify the chemical changes that happen during an attack, and then inform their owners.

Dogs4Diabetics begins

Ruefenacht worked with scientists and financed research which found that the "smell" of hypoglycemia appears in both breath and sweat. He also worked with and studied animal trainers who teach dogs to recognize everything from explosives to cancer.

In addition, Ruefenacht started training a yellow Labrador retriever named Armstrong to tell him when he had a dangerously low blood sugar level.

The training was successful. Armstrong is now listed in The Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s first diabetes-detection dog.

Armstrong died in 2012.

Mark Ruefenacht and Armstrong, the first diabetes alert dog. (Robert Houser Photography)
Mark Ruefenacht and Armstrong, the first diabetes alert dog. (Robert Houser Photography)

Ruefenacht noted that after his early training successes, several organizations offered him a lot of money for the rights to his discoveries. He told VOA he refused those offers. Instead, in 2004, he created a group called Dogs4Diabetics, where he trains dogs to help people with diabetes.

Ruefenacht says training for a diabetes detection dog and its owner can cost up to $50,000. His organization raises money to cover the costs, so they can provide dogs for free to those in need.

The smell of hypoglycemia

To train the animals, Ruefenacht uses bottles containing swabs of sweat from a diabetic with low blood sugar, and containers of other smells, such as peanut butter, dog food, or plants. The dogs are given a treat when they choose the correct jar.

This "sweat jar" method for training diabetes detection dogs has been approved scientifically.

The next step is to teach the dog to alert the owner. The dogs are trained to use subtlesigns at first. However, if those signals are ignored, the animals then put their pawson the owner’s legs or shoulders. They learn to lick and put their nose in the owner’s face, and make noises. If none of these methods work, the dogs are then trained to find someone else to help.

Ruefenacht says the dogs can often detect blood sugar dropping long before electronic systems send a warning sound.

Dogs4Diabetics has placed more than 100 dogs with diabetics. The group hopes to expand the program -- training people’s “most loyal friend” to save lives and help diabetics around the world.

I’m Phil Dierking.

Honored Contributor

LAHORE - Most of the diabetes patients can fast after consulting physicians, say top endocrinologists in the country.

Diabetes patients need regular meals, water and medicines (oral or insulin) to keep sugar level within normal range. Change in pattern of meals and fluid intake for fasting can cause complications, such as hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels), hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) and dehydration. Nevertheless, diabetes patients having no serious complications can fast after adjustment of medication with consultation of physicians.

Even those diabetes patients carrying hypertension, kidney or heart diseases can fast at times but not without permission of qualified physician. People with irregular sugar fluctuations or those with complications such as kidney, liver or cardiovascular diseases should accept physician’s advice as fasting could prove fatal for them.

“Diabetes patients can fast like normal people. Change in pattern of meals and avoiding liquid intake for a prolonged duration need adjustment in dose of medicines. It should be done with consultation of physician and not at own. Moreover, monitoring of sugar level before Sehr, after Iftar and during the day is also necessary. Patients need to be mindful that in case can take the blood sugar levels are extremely high or low, they need to break their breaking fast. Physicians should also guide patients regarding symptoms of low or high sugar level that may require patient to break their fast during the day”, said Prof Dr Ali Jawa while talking to The Nation on the sideline of 5th Annual Mid-Summer Endocrine Update Symposium held under the auspices of Pakistan Endocrine Society (PES) at Nathia Gali recently.

Dr Jawa, who is also holding the office of President PES, urged diabetes patients intending to fast to consult physician and follow his/her advice for their own health.

Prof Dr AH Aamir from Hayatabad Medical Complex, Peshawar said that diabetes patients need to devise a proper diet plan and adjust dose of medicines with the help of physicians.

“Excessive eating in Sehr and use of fried food in Iftar can lead to complications. Physician can help diabetes patients in devising an optimal diet plan for fasting. He/she will also help patients adjust dose of medicines according to the requirement of fasting,” said Dr Aamir, who is also a former President of PES.

South Asian Federation of Endocrine Societies (SAFES) President Dr S Abbas Raza also suggested consulting ones physician before planning fasting in Ramazan.

“Even those taking insulin may fast. Physician will help adjusting the dose according to the condition of a diabetes patient. Self adjustment or skipping dose can result in hypoglycaemia. Patient should eat in moderation in Sehr and Iftar. Taking protein, fiber and healthy carbohydrates can help keeping blood sugar in balance. Dark urine, a headache, nausea and vomiting are signs of serious dehydration. Only qualified physician can properly guide diabetes patients intending fasting in Ramazan”, he said.

Honored Contributor

A startling new discovery suggests that diabetics may be able to use a relatively straightforward trick to manage their blood sugar levels. By adopting a very low-carb diet, people with Type 1 diabetes can control blood sugar in a way researchers have not seen before, a huge discovery that could provide hope for people suffering with the disease.

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, examined 300 people with Type 1 diabetes, 130 of whom were children. Researchers found that those who ate a very low-carbohydrate and high-protein diet were able to have great control of their blood sugar levels despite taking lower doses of insulin.

They were even able to keep average blood sugar levels to 5.67 percent, below the normal level of 5.7 percent and far below the blood sugar threshold for diabetics, which is 6.5 percent. An extremely low-carb diet involves the consumption of less than 30 grams of carbohydrates per day, where as moderate consumption would be 130 to 225 grams per day. That means no sugar-sweetened foods or drinks, white bread, pasta, or starchy fruits and vegetables.

The full statement from Boston Children’s Hospital follows below.

Very-low-carbohydrate diets can improve blood sugar control in type 1 diabetes, with low rates of hypoglycemia and other complications, according to an online patient survey. The researchers, led by Belinda Lennerz, MD, PhD, and David Ludwig, MD, PhD, of Boston Children’s Hospital, now call for controlled clinical trials of this approach.

Findings were reported today in the journal Pediatrics.

The patients were drawn from TypeOneGrit, a Facebook community of people with type 1 diabetes committed to a very-low-carb diet as recommended by the book Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution (Richard Bernstein, MD, is a co-author on the study).

Of 493 people who took the survey, 316 provided enough information to be included in the analysis. For 138 of these participants, the researchers were able to confirm diabetes diagnosis, blood-sugar control measures, metabolic health measures and other outcomes with health care providers or through review of medical records. Forty-two percent of participants were children.

Participants reported an average daily carbohydrate intake of 36 grams, or about 5 percent of total calories (for comparison, the American Diabetes Association recommends about 45 percent of calories come from carbohydrates). Self-reported hemoglobin A1c values — the primary measure of blood-sugar control — averaged in the normal range, at 5.67 percent (the target is below 7 percent and prevailing levels average 8.2 percent).

Participants required lower-than-average doses of insulin (mean, 0.40 U/kg/day), and those for whom data were available had favorable measures of insulin sensitivity and cardiometabolic health, such as low triglyceride levels and high HDL cholesterol levels.

Safety concerns have been raised about very-low-carb diets in type 1 diabetes, primarily that they increase the risk of hypoglycemia, or dangerous drops in blood sugar. However, in the study, rates of hospitalization for hypoglycemia (1 percent), diabetic ketoacidosis (2 percent) and other diabetes complications were lower than those generally reported for type 1 diabetes populations.

More than 80 percent of survey respondents were satisfied or very satisfied with their diabetes management. Yet about a quarter said they did not discuss the very-low-carb diet with their diabetes care providers, some citing concerns about being criticized or even being accused of child abuse.

The study authors note that severe carbohydrate restriction is actually a very old approach in type 1 diabetes.1 Before the discovery of insulin, it extended children’s lives, sometimes for years. Once insulin was introduced, carb restriction fell out of practice.

But the authors believe very-low-carbohydrate diets deserve further study in type 1 diabetes. Since this study was observational in nature and not controlled, they call for randomized clinical trials to rigorously test the diet’s safety and efficacy.

Lennerz and Ludwig emphasize that the results of this study, by themselves, do not justify a change in diabetes management. They strongly suggest that anyone with diabetes make dietary changes only with the supervision of a diabetes care provider.

Lennerz and Ludwig are both affiliated with the Division of Endocrinology and New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. The study was supported by the NIH National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Boston Children’s Hospital, the primary pediatric teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School, is home to the world’s largest research enterprise based at a pediatric medical center. Its discoveries have benefited both children and adults since 1869. Today, more than 3,000 scientists, including 8 members of the National Academy of Sciences, 17 members of the National Academy of Medicine and 11 Howard Hughes Medical Investigators comprise Boston Children’s research community. Founded as a 20-bed hospital for children, Boston Children’s is now a 415-bed comprehensive center for pediatric and adolescent health care.

Honored Contributor

Re: newest Diabetes news

[ Edited ]

This article is very important for everyone taking metformin. I have trouble absorbing B and D vitamins because of metformin and my PPI. I was told today I will be on B12 shots the rest of my life

Mr Wakeman also believes that everyone taking metformin should have regular checks to ensure their amounts of vitamin B12 have not dipped to dangerous levels.

Researchers at the University of Surrey, who analysed 25 studies involving more than 7,000 patients, found that taking metformin for just four months would "lead to frank deficiencies in a significant proportion of patients" and the longer people take the drug, the lower their levels are likely to be.

Dr David Cavan, a leading diabetes expert and former adviser to the International Diabetes Federation, says: "Anyone with any sign of neuropathy should have their B12 tested.

"Hand on heart, is it always done? Probably not.

"We need clinicians to be alert to the issue.

"If someone has been taking metformin for a year, I would want their levels checked. Then, if they were normal, I would be happy to leave it for a few years."

The American Diabetes Association has just updated its Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes to include the warning: "Metformin is associated with vitamin B12 deficiency" and suggests "periodic measurement of vitamin B12 levels" for patients taking the drug.

Yet Diabetes UK says there are currently no plans to update advice here, adding: "Reduced vitamin B12 absorption has historically been considered a rare side effect of metformin use and we know the benefits of using this medication outweigh the potential risk."

armite are good dietary sources of B12

Mr Wakeman also believes that everyone taking metformin should have regular checks to ensure their amounts of vitamin B12 have not dipped to dangerous levels.

Researchers at the University of Surrey, who analysed 25 studies involving more than 7,000 patients, found that taking metformin for just four months would "lead to frank deficiencies in a significant proportion of patients" and the longer people take the drug, the lower their levels are likely to be.

Dr David Cavan, a leading diabetes expert and former adviser to the International Diabetes Federation, says: "Anyone with any sign of neuropathy should have their B12 tested.

"Hand on heart, is it always done? Probably not.

"We need clinicians to be alert to the issue.

"If someone has been taking metformin for a year, I would want their levels checked. Then, if they were normal, I would be happy to leave it for a few years."

The American Diabetes Association has just updated its Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes to include the warning: "Metformin is associated with vitamin B12 deficiency" and suggests "periodic measurement of vitamin B12 levels" for patients taking the drug.

Yet Diabetes UK says there are currently no plans to update advice here, adding: "Reduced vitamin B12 absorption has historically been considered a rare side effect of metformin use and we know the benefits of using this medication outweigh the potential risk."

Dr Cavan points out: "There have been a number of studies which show vitamin B12 absorption is reduced by metformin."

One study published more than 20 years ago warned that taking a 1,000mg daily dose - as is commonly prescribed in the UK - almost doubles the risk of B12 deficiency.

The study's authors concluded:"The risk factors identified have implications forplanning, screening or prevention strategies inmetformin-treated patients."

Similarly, the University of Surrey study reported a"statistically significant lowering of vitamin B12 levels,"with an average dip of 57 pmol/L.

To put this into context, anything below 150 pmol/L isdeemed deficient and 150 to 220 pmol/L is consideredborderline.

Data from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey shows that one in five men and more than a quarter of women already have B12 levels of less than 200 pmol/L which means they are already borderline or deficient.

Signs of a shortfall include tiredness, weakness, numbness and tingling in the handsand feet, constipation, loss of appetite, weight lossand anaemia.

Matt Peterson from the American DiabetesAssociation says: "There is no doubt that people taking metformin do have lower vitamin B12 levels.

"We also know that B12 levels tend to decline with age and if proton pump inhibitors are also being prescribed, that's a triple whammy in terms of risk."

Honored Contributor

Diabetes type 2 - this 6p vegetable is ‘single best food’ for high blood sugar patients

DIABETES type 2 symptoms include weight loss, blurred vision, and extreme tiredness. But you can lower your risk of high blood sugar by adding this cheap vegetable to your diet. It’s claimed to be “the single best food for people with type 2 diabetes”.

By MATT ATHERTON

PUBLISHED: 22:21, Wed, May 16, 2018 | UPDATED: 22:29, Wed, May 16, 2018

Diabetes type 2 is a common condition that causes too much sugar to build up in the blood, according to the NHS.

It’s a life-long condition that can change patients’ diets and exercise regimes.

Diabetics may have to take regular medicine to maintain a normal blood sugar.

Symptoms of diabetes can include needing to pass more urine than normal, having an unquenchable thirst, and fatigue.

But, you could lower your risk of high blood sugar by eating more mushrooms, it’s been revealed.

Add mushroom to diet to prevent high blood sugar

Mushrooms are a type of non-starchy vegetable, which are highly recommended for diabetes patients.

The vegetables are rich in soluble fibre, which helps to maintain a normal blood sugar.

Adding more mushrooms to your diet could even reduce the amount of ‘bad’ cholesterol in your body.

It would therefore lower your risk of some life-threatening conditions, including heart disease and high blood pressure.

About half of a diabetics’ diet should be made up of non-starchy vegetables, according to the American Diabetes Association.

Diabetes.co.uk said: “Non-starchy vegetables are perhaps the single best food type for people with type 2 diabetes.

“They contain lots of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K.

“Studies have consistently linked non-starchy vegetables to lower risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer.

“Unlike starchy vegetables, non-starchy vegetables are very low in carbohydrates.

“It's impossible to overdo non-starchy vegetables.”

Eating a healthy, balanced diet will help you to manage your blood sugar levels, the NHS added.

Diabetes type 2 symptoms: Mushroom is a great food choice for diabetes patients

Speak to a GP if you’re worried that you might have diabetes, or if you think you’re at a higher risk of the condition.

Your doctor will diagnose your condition with a simple blood test.

It’s crucial to identify diabetes early, as it makes treatment much easier.

Patients are also at higher risk of some life-threatening diseases, including heart disease and strokes.

About 3.7 million people in the UK have diabetes.

Honored Contributor

DIABETES type 2 symptoms include weight loss, extreme tiredness and having cuts or wounds that take longer to heal than usual. Adding these five food and drinks to your breakfast diet could lower your risk of high blood sugar.

By MATT ATHERTON

PUBLISHED: 19:00, Fri, May 18, 2018

Diabetes type 2 is a common condition that causes too much sugar to build up in the blood, according to the NHS.

It’s a life-long condition that can change patients’ diets and exercise regimes.

Diabetes patients may have to take insulin injections, or other regular medicine, to help control their blood sugar.

Diabetes symptoms can include unexplained weight loss, having an unquenchable thirst, and passing more urine than normal.

But, could can lower your risk of high blood sugar by adding certain foods to your diet, it’s been revealed.

These foods are often referred to as ‘diabetes superfoods’, it added.

Berries are a great snack for diabetes patients, as they're rich in a group of compounds known as anthocyanins.

The compounds help to lower the amount of ‘bad’ cholesterol in the body, while reducing fasting plasma glucose levels.

Citrus fruits, including oranges and lemons, should also be added to diabetes patients’ diets.

People should be aware signs and symptoms of diabetes are not always obvious and the condition is often diagnosed during GP check ups.

“Citrus fruit is full of vitamin C,” said Diabetes.co.uk.

“One large orange contains all the daily vitamin C you need. Citrus fruits also balance blood pressure.”

But, the fruits can contain a lot of carbohydrate, so it’s best to eat them in moderation.

Oats and coconut milk should also be added to your morning routine.

Coconut milk can help to balance your blood sugar levels, while providing a good source of energy for your body that doesn’t come from sugar.

Diabetes patients should regularly monitor their blood sugar levels, the NHS said.

They’re more likely to develop life-threatening conditions, including heart disease and strokes.

People most at risk of developing diabetes are those that are overweight or obese, and people with close relatives with the condition.

You should see a GP if you’re worried about the symptoms of diabetes.

The earlier it’s diagnosed, the better. Earlier treatment will lower your risk of health complications.