Honored Contributor

Re: mitochondria supplement?

A large bulk of these practitioner's income comes from pushing supplements so I'd be wary. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd pass on anything unless a medical expert could guarantee a supplement was both safe and effective.  The term "snake oil salesman" comes to mind.

Chiropractors are medical experts, and have valid recommendations within their specialty, just like all other medical experts. No provider knows everything. As consumers of health care, we have to be vigilant with all providers to ensure we're getting appropriate advice. This can be quite difficult, of course. But most providers of all types welcome 2nd opinions. 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Literally everybody wants more energy and to lose weight so good selling point.  My husband, who complains about the prescriptions I take, lately has lost a lot of energy.  He got something the other day in the mail, and when I saw him putting some powder into his water, I asked what it was.  "Just something for energy."  I told him he really needed to go to the doctor and get a good physical.  It could just be some deficiency.  Vitamin D supplementation has eliminated my deficiency and severe fatigue.  He didn't say anything and just went back to his iPad.  I think he is just too proud of the fact that he doesn't "need" any prescriptions at his age when it's just that he doesn't know if he does need something.  

for years, i wanted my hubs to take a baby asprin but he wouldn't because he "doesn't like to take pills". fast forward to present, he's taking a couple of supplements/vitamins that he has seen advertised on the golf channel. I guess he/men will do what they want to. we just have to roll with it! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@10sluvr 

I learned about Mitochondria back in the 1970's-'80's at day long clinics given by a couple different Renowned Exercise Physiologists. They explained it's function and it's part in muscle function primarily.

Nothing was said about boosting an athletes energy. It had more to do with muscle strength and function, and at that time, it could only be measured via a muscle tissue biopsy. They had done a muscle biopsy only on several Olympic Level Athletes at that time.

I am not a believer when it comes to the conclusion that supplementation equals more energy/speed/endurance etc. etc. For me supplementation is only when one has been found to be deficient in their personal body via actual testing, using whatever procedure necessary to find these deficiencies.

Never have quite understood why so many look for an energy boost through some form of ingested supplementation. The only way I have found to boost my energy level over decades is pretty simple. Unless I was found to have a deficiency, it has always been through improving my physical fitness level. I have yet to find a pill/drink or food that shoots my energy level up to any degree.

For those that believe a supplement will enhance their energy levels? Your body/your money!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn  John,  our "man of reason" once again.  I sure do appreciate you being on this board.  We need some common sense these days!

Honored Contributor

Most of our mitochondria are found in muscles. The heart muscle contains more than any other muscle in the body. As we age mitochondria die, cells use less energy b/c of that and then begins fat storage since there's fewer mitochondria to burn it. Older people need to exercise muscles in order to keep mitochondria from dying too soon. With age muscles get smaller and turn to fat.

In essence, youth can be defined by the numbers of mitochondria we have in our bodies. When it's discovered how to keep mitochondria from dying, that will be called the fountain of youth.

Honored Contributor

Here is an interesting article....if you want to spend the time and dig deep.  Yes, what @SilleeMee  and @hckynutjohn  wrote is correct.  There is a lot to having healthy mitochondria and it, unfortunately, starts with good genes.  You really need to work with a doctor for blood work if you plan on adding supplementation and addressing deficiencies.  You can't go wrong with strength training and a healthy diet.

Mitochondria—Fundamental to Life and Health

Joseph Pizzorno, ND, Editor in Chiefs
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Here is an interesting article....if you want to spend the time and dig deep.  Yes, what @SilleeMee  and @hckynutjohn  wrote is correct.  There is a lot to having healthy mitochondria and it, unfortunately, starts with good genes.  You really need to work with a doctor for blood work if you plan on adding supplementation and addressing deficiencies.  You can't go wrong with strength training and a healthy diet.

Mitochondria—Fundamental to Life and Health

Joseph Pizzorno, ND, Editor in Chiefs

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you! What an interesting and informative article. Diet is so important.